Chapter 10 - Unexpected Visitor

As I close the door inside, Brie is leaning up against the wall in the entryway with her arms crossed, "Hey Colie, it looked like you guys were having a heated conversation. I didn't know what was going on, but I figured it was over your Momma drama. I flipped the porch light on; I hope you aren't mad."

Overcome with emotion, I respond, "No, I'm not mad. I'm the opposite of mad," I reach out my hand and show her the diamond on my finger.

She takes a step back in shock, "Ummmm... What? I mean......what? No shit??!!!!"

I cover my face, tears well in my eyes as I watch her reaction. Her eyes wide, mouth slightly opened as she excitedly jumps up and down, lunging at me, wrapping her arms tightly around my waist. I match her embrace, and we hug in the entryway for a moment, uninterrupted. She looks up at me, "So, does this mean I get to help you plan a wedding before I go to school?"

"Absolutely, I think we should start planning before you leave. I want you to be my maid of honor."

She squeals loudly as I cover my face. We hear footsteps upstairs as Aunt Las runs in her room and down the stairs, "What's wrong, girls? What is it!?" she yells.

I put out my hand to her face to show her. She takes my hand, gazing down at the ring, a look of shock spread upon her face, "Jesus, your Mom is gonna go fucking crazy, Nicole!"

We three begin to roar with laughter as Aunt Las grabs my shoulders, "You did it! You managed to tame Dylan Hudson! I'm going to have to deal with your Mom coming down here raising cane. I can't wait!"

"Oh, Las, listen... I already talked to her about Dylan tonight. I told her I was in love with him. He just proposed to me a few minutes ago when we pulled up outside, so she doesn't know about this," I confess.

"Well, it's sure gonna be interesting, I'll tell you that. Congratulations, baby girl!" She responds, lovingly, as she pulls me in for a hug, "Don't let her fool you; she's been in this situation before. I will remind her," She says reassuringly.

I don't know what she's talking about, but I'm too excited to question it. What an exhausting and exciting day! The three of us trudge upstairs; I walk into the spare bedroom and shut the door behind me. The minute I put on my pajamas, plop onto the bed, lay down, and close my eyes, I'm out like a light.

The next morning, I am awakened by my alarm sounding, Oh, Monday... lovely Monday! I excitedly jump out of bed and stand in front of the mirror. God, I'm a hot mess! I desperately need a shower, so I get myself cleaned up and groomed for the day. According to the weather channel, it's humid outside, so I select a pair of cut off denim shorts and a white tank with a see-through floral top. I spend extra time on my hair and makeup, ensuring it's perfect before I slip my boots on and run downstairs.

Las is sipping her morning cup of joe at the kitchen table, "Good morning Mrs. Hudson," She greets me playfully.

My cheeks begin to flush, "Good morning Las."

I open the refrigerator door, pulling out a yogurt, water, and a piece of fruit from the counter, "I'm going to try to be healthy from now on, so I don't blow up like a balloon while trying to fit into a wedding dress."

She grins while sipping on her coffee, "I completely understand."

"I'm going to head out a bit early. I'll meet you there."

"Sounds good, honey," She says.

I grab my tote full of activities, carry it out to my car and speed off down the road. The drive to work allows some time to think about everything. Between Dylan, my Mom, school, planning a wedding, and Brie leaving for college, my plate is full right now. Maybe I can just postpone school for one semester. That shouldn't hurt anything.