Chapter 13 - Wrapped Around Her Little Finger

SIX MONTHS LATER...

Pop...woooosshhhhh... I'm startled awake. I look down as I can feel a pool of water between my legs. Shit! My water just broke! With one eye squinted, I glance at the clock: it's 3:30 am. I roll over to find that Dylan is snoring softly, so I gently shake him, "Baby! Wake up!!! Dylan!!! My water broke! It's time!"

Dylan jerks awake and sits up, rubbing his eyes, "What?"

"It's time. The baby's coming!"

"Now?!"

"Yes, my water just broke!"

He immediately rolls off the bed and begins to pace the floors frantically. I sit up and reach out to him, "Honey, it's okay. It's my first baby. I'm sure it will be hours from now before she comes."

He continues to pace the floors. Poor guy. He's been an absolute mess since he found out we were having a girl. She's going to have him wrapped around her little finger.

His face appears flushed, his breathing labored, "You okay? Wh...wha...what can I do?" He stutters as he slips his t-shirt over his head.

"Just load the bags into the Jeep and take me to the hospital, baby. That's the only thing I need you to do. I'm going to jump in the shower, and then I'll clean up the bed. My water broke on the bed, and it's soaked," I tell him as I roll off the bed, peering down at my huge basketball shaped tummy. I'm about to meet my little angel today, hopefully. I run my hand over my enormous baby bump, "Get ready, papa bear; baby girl is gonna have you wrapped around her finger!"

He reaches up to run his hand over his brow, wiping the perspiration away, his hand trembling. Attempting to calm him, I take his hands, wrapping them around my waist; he gazes down at me as he begins to relax, "I know you are a nervous wreck. It's okay, just relax. Everything is fine, and when we get to the hospital, you can call everyone."

He exhales audibly, "How are you not a nervous wreck?" He asks in disbelief.

I reach up to squeeze his biceps, "Well, you are nervous enough for the both of us."

I stand on my tiptoes, planting a kiss on the bridge of his nose, "Okay, I'm getting in the shower, then I'll clean up this mess, and we can head out. Go ahead and get us ready; you got this. I trust you," I tell him as I walk into the bathroom.

I listen from the bathroom as he pulls the overnight bag out of the closet and leaves the room. I turn the lever to the shower and strip off my soiled nightgown. I stand there waiting for the water to get hot enough and climb in. Now I'm going to have my little panic attack before he returns. I don't want him to see me like this.

Once I'm done shedding a few tears and dry heaving, I get out and quickly get dressed. I collect the soiled sheets, throwing them in the hamper and changing them out for clean ones. Then I slip my shoes on and walk outside to find Dylan waiting in the Jeep for me. He helps me into the passenger side before we take off down the road.

About fifteen mins later, Dylan parks the truck in the hospital parking lot, grabs the bags out of the back, comes around to help me out of the car, and leads me inside. As we enter, the lady at the front desk looks up as we approach, "My wife is having a baby," Dylan tells her.

Dylan and I ended up getting married at the courthouse soon after my accident. I was dropped from Mom and Dad's health insurance since I was no longer in school and moved away. Not like it was a problem anyway; we were planning on getting married regardless. It just wasn't how we intended. We can wait to have a real wedding later. It really doesn't matter to me, though. I'm perfectly content with how it all worked out, "Congratulations. I'll get you checked in," She responds.