Chapter 12 - Unexpected Surprise

Dylan's POV

I'm at a loss for fuckin words... I can't believe this has happened. What a fucking nightmare! Brie calls Lori to tell her what happened, and Lori takes off towards the hospital.

I pull up in the parking lot to the hospital moments later, and we dart inside. Lori is standing in the waiting room as we enter. She looks up as she notices us, "Mariah?" I asked, attempting to get any updates she may have.

"Bud, I don't know she looks bad. The doctors are running scans right now. She must have lost control of the car and hydroplaned, hitting a tree. Her car is totaled. I can't say as to what damage Ethan did to her. We will have to wait and see what the doctor says," She tearfully responds as she reaches out her arms to me, tightly squeezing my neck.

I match her embrace to console her, "She'll be okay, Lori."

She buries her face into my shoulder, "I hope so, bub."

"Want me to get you something? I'm going to hit the vending machine while we wait," I ask.

She pulls away from me, crossing her arms in front of her while pacing the floor, "No, I'm fine, sweetie, thank you."

Feeling very anxious, I walk over to the vending machine to grab some coffee and take a sip. God, it's disgusting, but I continue drinking it so that I have something to pre-occupy my mind. As I sit in the waiting room, lost in thought, I hear a male voice from the doorway, "Are you the family of Mariah Knox?"

Lori and I both stand up, "Yes!" she replies, approaching the doctor standing in front of us.

"Well, we ran some tests; she has four fractured ribs on the left side, and her face is bruised and swollen on the left side, but nothing that won't heal. There was no evidence of a brain injury, which I have to say based on what I heard about the accident, she's very fortunate. She is dehydrated, so we have her hooked up to some IV fluids right now. Her drug screening came back positive for benzodiazepines, which could be why she was so sedated. We did a thorough examination and determined that Mom and baby are doing well according to the ultrasound. Mom will just need some rest," The doctor explains.

My heart skips a beat. There's a lump the size of Texas in my throat. Lori places her hand on my shoulder, "Baby?" I ask.

The doctor pauses. "Oh, you didn't know about the baby. Well, yes, the baby is fine. She's about six weeks or so along."

I reach up to scratch my chin; Lori places her hand over her forehead, "Oh boy," She says.

Brie taps my shoulder from behind, "Guys, what's going on?"

I spin around, but I'm unable to speak. Lori chimes in, "Mariah is okay; she has a few fractured ribs and bruises, but...the baby... she's pregnant."

Brie covers her mouth with her hand, "What? Pregnant?" she asks.

Lori chuckles, "Yeah, six weeks or so."

My girl is pregnant. I'm going to be a daddy. Holy fuck! Seth squeezes my shoulders from behind, "You okay, daddy?"

Grinning ear to ear, I turn to face him, "Yeah, I am. I glad my girl is okay. I need to see her."

The doctor interrupts, "She's getting settled into her room. The nurse will be out shortly to get you. The most important thing is that she rests tonight. She's going to be in a lot of pain for a while. We don't advise giving any prescription painkillers to our pregnant patients, so the best I can do is prescribe Tylenol."

"That's understandable. Thank you, doctor, "Lori replies.

Brie and Lori are whispering amongst each other. Seth playfully nudges me, "Congratulations, daddy!"