Chapter 16 - I Need Mother Fucking Answers

Mariah's POV

I watch in my rearview mirror as he sinks to his knees on the ground as I drive off. Tears are streaming down my cheeks. Why did you do this to me, baby? What about us? Do I really mean that little to you?

I pull up to Las's house after a few moments. Her SUV is parked in the driveway. Good, she's home! I get Georgia out and stroll up to the front porch, ringing the doorbell, "Just a minute!" she calls out.

I stand there, waiting for her to open the door. Once she opens it, she has a big smile on her face, "Oh, my goodness, what a pleasant surprise."

I begin to weep, "Colie, what's the matter?" She asks as he pulls me in.

"Las, it's terrible. Dylan cheated on me."

She wraps her arm around my shoulder, "You two come on in. Tell me what happened."

She leads us to the living room and pulls out a blanket, laying it out on the floor. She takes Georgia from me and lays her down on the ground while giving her a toy to play with. Georgia rolls around, blowing raspberries and kicking her little legs, "So, Dylan worked late tonight, I assumed anyway because he didn't come home at his normal time. When I walk out to check the mail, I pull out a polaroid picture and a note left in my mailbox. The picture is of Suzanne Rafferty leaning over him at the bar, kissing his cheek. He is leaning forward, looking away from the camera. Then she leaves some snarky note that says she's pregnant and it's Dylan's. When he gets home, he is drunk and can barely stand. He was smart enough to call Maggie and her boyfriend for a ride home, at least. Maggie dropped him off, and Nate drove the truck back to our house," I explain.

She places her hand over her forehead, "Does he know you are here?"

I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket before I have a chance to answer her. When I look at the caller ID, I find that I have five missed calls from him, "Yes, and he's already called me five times. I've only been gone for twenty minutes if that."

"This makes no sense to me at all. I'm questioning the legitimacy of that note. I don't trust that girl as far as I can throw her. I think she's lying," She responds as she sits back in the chair.

"How do you think that, Las? What girl claims to be carrying someone's child if there's no possibility of it being true?"

"Some women are just evil and vindictive that way. She probably is just jealous of what you have."

I lay back on the couch, my eyes wet with tears, "Aunt Las, I feel like my heart has been ripped from my chest. I love that man with every fiber of my being."

She reaches out to pat my hand, "I believe he feels the same about you. Have you seen the way he looks at you? Christ Colie! I'm not a rocket scientist, but I see how he looks at you and how he looks at Georgia! Suzy has a horrible reputation around town. She's always causing drama. I'd take everything she says with a grain of salt. Tell Dylan to get a paternity test. If he's guilty, he will pussyfoot around the idea. If he's innocent, he will not hesitate," She suggests.

I sit there for a moment and contemplate the idea, "Should I call him and tell him?"

"I think you owe it to yourself and your baby to know what is really going on here. I just don't believe it. Not one bit of it."

I audibly sigh, "Can I stay here with Georgia until this gets straightened out? I'm not sure I can be around him until I know."

She smirks, "Of course, dear. I think that will drive him insane, though. I doubt he will leave you alone."

"True."

I push myself off the sofa and crawl onto the floor with the baby, "I don't know Suzy very well. I wonder what would possess her to lie like this if she is, in fact, lying?"