"i feel hot"

"KENMA. WAKE UP"

Kenma woke up to Kuroo shaking him awake. shit. i must have overslept. Kenma looked over to see 7:20 on the clock. Kenma and Kuroo meet outside his house at 7:05 every morning to walk to school together.

"i'm so sorry Kuroo! i didn't mean to oversleep" He rolled over and pulled his shirt off. Kuroo threw him a shirt from his drawer. He slipped it on, grabbed his bag, and they ran out the door.

"i'm sorry again Kuroo", Kenma quietly said.

"no worries!"

kenma checks his phone to see a text from lev: " are you coming to school today?".

kenma ignores the message and puts his phone in his pocket.

The two rush to school to avoid being late. They get to school exactly 2 minutes after the first bell. Kenma and Kuroo break and go to their separate classes.

3rd period 2nd year english class

Kenma watches the clock desperately, waiting to get out of class. 16 minutes. then i can go to free period. all i need to do is stay awake for 16 minu -  his thoughts are inturrupted by his english teacher.

"for the next week we'll be working on a project. i ask, what is a soulmate? this project is a creative project, because soulmate doesn't have one definition. it has a different definition for everyone. you're assignment is to find what that definition is to you. and do an oral presentation on what that means to you"

ugh this sounds BORING. Kenma fidgets with his pencil, holding his head on his palm. his teacher continues going on about the project, but Kenma is only paying attention to the clock. 3 minutes. only 3 minutes.

the bell finally rings, releasing Kenma from his dreaded english class. he makes his way to the hallway where him and Kuroo meet up everyday in their free periods.

on his way he's stopped by Lev. Since he's a first year, Kenma was kind of assigned to look after him at school.

"KENMA! KENMA!", Lev yells, although he's only 2 feet away from him. the rest of the students in the hall stop to see what all the commotion is about.

"what is it now lev". this kid is so needy. god can he get through just one school day on his own ?

kenma avoids eye contact and stares at his phone. lev jumps excitedly

"are you in free period right now? wanna set to me!"

is this kid really asking me to set to him again? he asks me every school day.  "lev. i'm on my way to meet Kuro right now. like i do every day. like i tell you every day"

lev seems disappointed but equally exited. one of his large hands grasps Kenma's small wrist. "can i come with you today! i'm not doing anything else!"

kenma internally rolls his eyes and starts walking, with lev following behind him, still latched onto his wrist like a leash.

the blond boy sees his 3rd year friend and rushes to greet him, trying to shake off Lev. Kuroo greets him and Lev with a huge smile. he seems extra happy today. "what's up with you?" Kenma said sarcastically

Kuroo didn't even realize he was smiling like that. He stopped smiling embarrassingly and fidgeted with his sleeve. "it's nothing", he replied looking down still fidgeting.

hmmm. is he trying to keep something a secret? he can't be. i'm his best friend. Kenma asked again, grabbing onto Kuroo's shoulders. "come on Kuroo you can tell me anything. especially if it's something good".

"yea i guess so". Kuroo nervously looked at the ceiling. His face reddened with an unreadable expression. "it's just this girl. i'm thinking about asking her out. but i don't know"

i've never heard him talk about girls before. it doesn't really phase me, i'm happy either way. but my chest feels so tight and i don't know why. "so ask her out, Kuroo"

Lev has been quietly listening on on the discussion.

"i'm going to. tomorrow. i think" i'm so nervous. i've never really talked to girls before

at hearing this, lev interfered asking multiple questions. "who is she? what's she look like? what year is she? does she go hear?"

Kuroo just ignored the questions. Lev was kind of like a puppy, hyper and immature.

as free period ended, the three parted to finish the school day. Kenma went through the rest of his schedule, not paying attention. just thinking. thinking about what Kuroo said. i still have this tight feeling in my chest. and i feel hot. and i don't know why. i'm really happy for Kuroo. maybe it's just that i don't want him ditching me for her.