"what's a soulmate?"

Kenma's house 8:30 pm

it's a friday night. Kenma and Kuroo are hanging out in Kenma's dark messy room watching a movie. the usual.

kenma seems restless. he's not focusing on the movie at all. he's watching it but he isn't really watching. he's thinking. hard. somethings on his mind.

both boys are laying side by side on their stomachs on blondies bed. Kuroo lays his head on his hands and tilts over to look at Kenma. "what's on your mind Ken?"

the blond boy pauses. he opens his mouth to talk, but doesn't say a word. i don't know what to say. because my mind is empty. i've felt tense all day.

"my switch". he says in a flash just so Kuroo doesn't say anything else. Kuroo grins. Ken turns his head to look Kuroo, who's staring aimlessly straight into his eyes grinning. he looks soft and content, as Ken looks blank with surprise. he turns his head back to tv

why do i feel so hot. why was Kuroo looking at me like that. i feel like i'm sweating a lot. a rush of confusing emotions fills him.

wow. i'm so glad i have kenma as my best friend!

"when was the last time you saw Hinata?"

Kenma was confused as to why he was getting asked this question. he looked to Kuroo with blank expression. Kuroo could read his eyes.

"ummm last week? i set to him a few times trying to work on my speed. and trying to pinpoint my sets"

Ken looked down at his hands. then back up at Kuroo. " you seem to like that kid a lot. he's pretty amusing. and he makes you happy"

Kenma could feel himself getting hot. what does he mean by that??? his face grew red. "it's not like that!"

"not like what? i thought you guys were friends"

His face went even redder. he hid his face in his hands pretending to be tired and rubbing his face. his hands brushed the sweat of his face.

why did i say that. why did i think he meant anything different. why did i even think he was implying that. "i meant that he doesn't make me any happier or anything. he's just... funny. he's entertaining to watch"

"ah. i get that. he is pretty dorky"

the two silently watched the rest of the movie side by side, growing a little more tired every minute. the two made small talk, trying to stay awake.

"so what do you have going on for school Ken? anything special"

He thought for a second, empty minded. then he remembered his project. ughhhh that stupid english project. maybe he'll help me with it.

blondies sleepy eyes turned to look at Kuroo. he took a long pause before saying anything.

"what's a soulmate?"

he had a shocked look on his face. like he wasn't expecting that question. because he wasn't. he paused for about a minute.

"a soulmate, to me, is someone you can see yourself spending the rest of you're life with. they're your person. your other half. they make you better. they make you wanna be better". he rubbed his sleepy eyes. "it's someone you live for. someone who keeps you going every day. someone you look forward to".

Kenma fell asleep to the sound of his soothing voice. and Kuroo fell asleep soon after. the two slept for hours, face to face, just centimetres apart. both were sleeping on their sides facing each other, Kenma's hand against the mattress with Kuroo's hand on top of his.

when the clock hit 3:47 am, Ken opened his eyes. making no movements at all, he examined Kuroo's face, which was an inch from his. heat filled his body. he examined for a couple of minutes before dozing off again. what is this feeling.