Chapter Two

Main Course.

Alexander started his company all by himself, without his family's help. Because they thought that being a chef is just a waste of time. After a few mishaps, he finally achieved his dream of being a chef and owning his own business. Now he is a well-known chef and businessman.

Finally, It is Monday, the day he meets his new employee or Anna's protege. She has been praising this girl for the longest time he has known her. It's already 7:45 am and if she isn't here in a few minutes she is fired. Even if she has a great recommendation from Anna who has been the best in the business.

"Chef, she is here", His secretary tells me ushering a tall hot girl. I felt like I know her from somewhere but I couldn't place her where.

"Hello, I am Armelle", she says with a smile. Damn, she is gorgeous but will see if she is what Anna says in the kitchen about her.

"Hey, take a seat Ms. Armelle".

She is wearing a jeans blazer and get and a white mini dress and no makeup.

"There's going to be a trial today, you will be preparing your favorite dish. All the ingredients will be found in the kitchen. You have an hour to complete it" he explained hoping that Anna was wrong about her.

Because she didn't look like a person who could cook to save her life or even her career. Alex hoped that Armelle would leave but she surprised him by agreeing to the trial.

"I agree to your trial, Chef", she says smiling.

I guess she doesn't know that she might be humiliated by me if she doesn't perform as she is supposed to. Thought Alex as he took her into the kitchen for her first trial.

Armelle was ready to meet Alex that morning even though she didn't know that he would ask for a trial.

He leads her to a huge kitchen. It was so clean, without a spec of dust in sight.

"The ingredients are right in there, He said pointing at the pantry. "And Lucy will show you where the utensils are. You have an hour which will start the minute you get in your uniform". He says while his secretary hands him the uniform for her to wear.

She took the uniform and removed her blazer. Alex's eyes were on me all that time. It was nerve-wracking for her to be watched by him.

Armelle could feel his stare behind her as she moved to get the ingredients she needed for the dish she chooses to make.

Failing isn't an option for me especially when I am in front of him. This will be the dish that will make him hire me.

Armelle began mixing the spices that needed to be mixed.

Fettuccine Alfredo

INGREDIENTS

Kosher salt

1 lb. fettuccine

1/2 c.heavy cream

1/2 c.(1 stick) butter

1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for sprinkling (My secret ingredient is adding two types of cheeses instead of one).

Freshly ground black pepper

2 tbsp.chopped parsley

DIRECTIONS

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve about 1 cup of pasta water then drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, add cream and butter. Cook until the butter is melted and the cream is bubbling. Whisk in Parmesan, and one more cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Let the sauce simmer for 1 to 2 minutes to thicken slightly. The sauce will still be thin, but will thicken more as the sauce cools and once the pasta is added. Add cooked pasta and toss until coated in sauce. If the sauce is too thick, add reserved pasta water, 1 table spoon at a time. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.

Armelle followed the recipe she memorized as it was her and her sister's favorite dish to make. Amelia has allergies that are more severe than other

"Chef, there's a call for you in the office and it is important", his secretary interrupted his stare.

She breathed a sigh of relief because now Armelle could work in peace without having him stare intensely.

When he came back, someone followed him. Even though he was behind him, Armelle could see that it was someone h knew well. Because Alex doesn't let anyone in his kitchen.

Before coming to the interview Armelle had googled Alex to know what he is like now. As it has been almost ten years since they last saw each other.

It is his best friend since high school. Caleb Monroe.

"Smells really great in here", he says to Alex who couldn't help but glare at him.

"Come on, Alex. Is she the new training chef?"

"Yes, and I am not telling you anything else".

Caleb looked at her trying to see where he saw her from but he couldn't.

Armelle took some plates out and serve them. Then she placed them in front of them.

"I am done, Chef".

"That was fast", Alex says. He was hoping for her to be slow so that he could kick her out of his restaurant.

"Looks really good, I can't wait to taste if Alex will let me", teased Caleb.

It seems they are close as they were since high school. Alex hands him the cutlery and a plate while taking his own.

The look on both their faces proved that Armelle had passed her first trial and she will be training with Alex.

"This is delicious and you added something that wasn't part of the recipe", says Caleb who has his mouth full.

"Yes, I added a twist to make it tastier", replied Armelle who could help but feel happy that they liked it.

Armelle had read that the two best friends are business partners. But she didn't know was that Caleb taking part in her testing trial.

"Well, Ms. Dela River, you have passed your trial but remember there will be more but those trials will come as a surprise", says Alex who shocked Caleb.

Caleb knew that Armelle had impressed Alex for him to hire her and personally train her.

"Thank you Chef for this opportunity", she places her hand forward so that he shakes it.

Caleb knew that Alex wanted Armelle to fail but the question is why?

The main course can be a full meal, even half a meal