5. Basket Case

"Erin what the hell happend?" I huffed out, sliding my hands down my thighs and lowering my head after running much too far for my own comfort.

"Where were you?" The blonde teenager asked matter o factorly."And why are you all soaked?"

"Doesn't matter." I mumbled as I reached into my purse for my keys. Stacey followed close behind me, talking to Erin while I fought with the stubborn locks. Eventually I managed to get the door open, giving Erin a concerned gaze as she walked inside.

I turned towards Stacey as Erin threw her stuff onto the couch. "I haven't talked to my mom ever since I got out of the slammer." I whispered, trying not to tear up at the thought of my no good caregiver.

"Seems Mom cares about the guys that use here for sex more then she cares about her own daughter." Erin said lowly as she stretched out on the couch, pulling a blanket over herself and resting her head carefully on the nearby pillow. I could tell she was in alot of emotional pain as she continued her little testimonial speech. "I didn't like the way he was treating her. I didn't care how he treated me but as soon as he laid a hand on her... I couldn't take it anymore. Even though I was trying to defend her, she killed me out of the shithole anyways. When I was running here I kept expecting the cops to come and arrest me. But no cop came...."

"Here, drink this." Stacey bent down to the level of the fellow blonde, passing her a glass of water. Erin gave thanks with her appreciative smile as she took a sip of it, still shaking from the anxiety of the situation.

"We'll figure something out, okay? I'll make it my priority to talk to mom after work tommrow. Until theres a better solution, you can stay here as long as you want." I told my sister as I sat myself down on the chair adjacent to where she was. In doubt of this situation going anywhere good, I hung my head and ran my hand through my hair, letting out a frustrating sigh.

Tonight was a road with so many sharp turns I'd crash in seconds. I'd lost way too much control at that party, and would've ended up locking lips with Kurt had Stacey not rushed in with the emergency news. On top of that, Mom's off her rocker and like always it's gonna be me that will have to talk her down from this dangerous high before she comes crashing down way too fast and kills herself.

I didn't have a care in the world for anyone else other than Erin right now though. I mean, someone has to take care of her. And since it ain't her slutty, junkie mother it's gotta be me I guess.

"It ain't easy you know. When you're always.. in jail." By now I thought that Erin was asleep, but hearing her speak those honest words killed my hope that she had found herself in a temporary state that would numb all the pain. Letting out a heavy sigh, she peeked at my cigerette with a drooling look of desire. "You got any more of those?"

"Erin just go to sleep." I begged as I took another drag, but the stubborn teenager shook her head.

"Sometimes Mom stays up smoking those. They replace sleep where I come from." She stated, finding herself spacing out before starting her next sentence. "I'm sure you're gonna promise that was the last time you'll be in cuffs. You've said that my whole life."

"Erin please... this isn't the time." I pleaded as I tapped my cigerette on the ashtray beside me. "Harp on me in the morning all you want but tonight..."

"HEDI! I NEED YOU. YOU DON'T GET IT. WHENEVER I NEED YOU YOU'RE NEVER THERE! I flinched, raising my hands due to habit as the once calm Erin stood up and cried while dropping bombshells. "YOU'RE EITHER IN JAIL OR.."

Stacey rushed in, standing by my side attempting to de-escalate the situation. "Erin, take a breath hunny."

I shook my head in disbelief, not having heard her scream at me like that before. I took a calm breath out while contemplating what to respond. "You know Erin? We've grown up with the same mother. In the same house, and all this has happend to me too! The way you're feeling right now cause of that asshole? I've fucking been there! And it only... it only.." I choked back a sob, unable to continue that sentence. It ended with 'it only gets worse.' I wiped away a tear, staring her down seriously as I began another genuine speech. "I know I've done bad things. I know that.. things like love and forgiveness and stupid shit like that have never come easy for me, but let me tell you Erin. I do really care. I don't wanna see you go through anything close to what I did, and I'm sorry I wasn't around as much as you need me to be but I'm gonna try so.. so hard to stay out of jail and get my shit together. I'm gonna try, okay?"