When Deviency Grows, Loyalty Falters

Chapter #7

                                                     When Deveincy Grows, Loyalty Falters 

I guess that I fell asleep, because I was on a bed. OK, not detailing enough. The bed was really hard, but still a bed. My lower back felt like the whips I got from my mom were pat on the backs, that was how much my back hurt. I was in a single bed, and the room was dark. But then... out of the corner of my eye saw light. A small dot. Some how, I felt like going after it, like it was beckoning me.

"What the fuck..." I followed the dim light.The closer I got to it, the more that it looked like it was getting farther and farther away. The light traveled up and down the unknown halls, but got bigger. It slowly started to take form of a figure. It was average size, and broad. The figure was vague, but oddly familiar. Buzzing sounds suddenly started to make it's way to my ears in frosty winds. Wait - winds? How the hell did I get outside? I started to look deeper into my surroundings, finding them new and unfamiliar. Wow, the first thing that doesn't look familiar. I was on a small hill, covered in hay, in-front of a cement building. I started to get a frost bite from the cold, I didn't care. I was too intrigued by the scenery. It was unique, kind of rural-like.

Before the light pulled my attention back to it, I did a slow, little 360. I stopped mid-circle to look. I looked at the building and analyzed it. It had a cement wall, with coiled barbed wire. It looked menacing, challenging anyone, or anything that went against it. The building look menacing. It's height, the way it was built, made it look strong, made it strong. Keeping members in, and intruders out. Members... no, not members. But prisoners.

I wasn't until I looked at the steel gate, did I know where I was. Not until I looked at the lettering etched into the cement wall, saying, 'Maine Jail Center' did I notice where I was standing. Not until I looked down at my clothes, no, uniform, did I realize I was part of that communittee...of prisoners. I'm not supposed to be here. It wasn't my fault. Why is this happening? I pondered over and over, until I remembered why I was out here. I continued my 360, until I was face-to-face with it. The light. The shape. The figure. The person.

The buzzing grew unbearably loud, and I had to cover my ears so block out part of it.  The light became more detailed, but not much. The pot-belly, yellowed-teeth... they remind me of some-one, but who? But then, the images flooded back to me, filling more than just my memory and sight. I started to hear and feel it all over again. The beatings. My crying. The cruel laughing. The knife.... All from the man that helped give me life. But, why is he like that? Why does he look so transparent?

"Holy shit..." I trailed off, staring at the ghost of my father.

"Because of you...my life... it in hell!" His words were barely audible, and I only caught about half of what he said. And I didn't actually notice the short and swift movement coming from his right hand. His hand swung back, and something glinted in the moonlight. At first , I thought that I was imagining things, but, no, it was solid. A knife, crusted with maroon paint on the handle. Yes, I could see the handle through his hand. It had jewels, gold, silver. I looked like it came from mid-evil times. His hand swiftly swung even farther back, abnormally far. Before he made his hand go forward, he slowly, tauntingly, turned the knife, over and over, until he settled for it to be pointing directly at me.

"What do you want?" I was afraid, terrified, mortified, of what his answer might be.

"Being sealed up...and tucked away in... jail is too much. He took needful deep breaths after every few words.