Chapter 1

"On your marks, get set, go!"

I kicked my navy blue tail and started to swim across the mermaid racing track. To be honest, I'm not a very fast mermaid and I don't try to be fast either. These daily races have really gotten on my nerves recently. My stepsister Nerissa made an grin
as she swam passed me. I rolled my eyes. Nerisa always takes these races so seriously, almost as if her life depended on it. I was left way past behind her, as always, but it's not like it matters. Nerissa passed the finish line mark and shouted, "I won!"

My parents looked at me with frowns on their faces and swam over to Nerissa, congratulating her. "Okay, nice."

The smile on Nerissa's face faded as she probably expected something more. I swam to Nerissa and patted her on the back. She turned around in shock of my sudden contact.

"Why are you touching me?"Nerissa looked confused.

"You just looked sad," I mumbled.

Both parents shot their eyes at me. From the looks of it, they didn't seem happy at all.

"Why don't you take these races seriously?" said my mom, frowning in disappointment.

I sighed, looking up at them. Nerissa eyed me out of jealousy, doing her own thing as she eavesdropped on another one of my parents' lectures.

"I don't care about being a mermaid queen," I blurted in annoyance.

They looked at each other almost as if they were having the same thoughts. I could tell they were fed up with me.

"It isn't about you not caring; it's about your future. I don't think you realize you have no choice. At some point, you will be queen and you'll have to deal with it." my mom disclaimed.

"Nah," I shot back, looking away. When will they get it? I'm not gonna be queen and that's that.

My parents looked at each other again with both of their faces turning red. The head of my so called 'mother' was shaking back and forth and Dad's fists were clenched.

"How dare you talk back to us?!" shouted my mother.

She swam towards me and stopped inches away, her eyes piercing mine. I could see the frustration in hers. She always overreacts about everything I do.

"Chill— Anyway, I can talk back to whoever I please," I said confidently.

My dad's jaw dropped and his flushed face almost looked like he wanted to punch me. His mouth was open wide enough for a nest of birds to build a nest inside of it. Seems like he contained himself from hurting his own daughter. He never does anything when I need him most.

"I think you're forgetting who you're talking to," she snapped. "I am queen of this ocean, and just because you live in the same castle as me does not mean you can just talk back!" My mother shouted in anger.

"Okay, whatever," I said not caring.

As I proceeded to swim away, my mom snatched my arm, forcing me to turn around right back at her. Her lips narrowed and her eyelids weren't visible anymore from how big she was opening her eyes. It's funny how she thinks she can actually threaten me with her stares.

"I'm tired of your bratty attitude!" she yelled.

"Good, it's about time." Her frustration could only make me grin.

I swam away without a care in the world. What is there to care about anyway? I left my irritated parents and stepsister alone near the coral reefs. I thought about running away, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. It wasn't long until I arrived at our unnecessarily large castle. I swam inside, passing the guards that are always mistaken as statues. Must be boring serving someone like my step-mother.