Chapter 2

I swam into the kitchen, half asleep. Our family's private chefs who were making breakfast greeted me as I drowsily passed by to go to the family dining room.

I sat in one out of the four chairs at the large dining table, staring at the numerous paintings of ancestors on the walls. As I felt my eyes closing shut again, and I plopped my head down into my arms trying to go back to sleep.

The amount of sleep I had wasn't much at all, since Dad kept arguing with my stepmom after storming out of my room yesterday. I've never seen them so upset at each other. They didn't even sleep in the same bed last night. Dad ended up sleeping in one of the many guest bedrooms.

I heard someone come into the room, but I didn't know who it was since my eyes were closed.

"I'm so tired."

After hearing that sentence, I recognized Nerissa's voice. She was half-asleep, complaining about how tired she was. I have to put up with this every single morning. I lift my head up and look at her with blurred vision.

"Oh, you're here." She said with a bratty tone looking at me with a mean glare.

"Mhm," I nodded with a disgusted look.

Nerissa turned around and came back from the kitchen with a glass of water, taking the seat across from mine.

"Did you hear mom and dad arguing last night?" she asked before chugging her icy beverage.

I rested my chin on my palm and sighed. "Yeah," I replied.

"I couldn't sleep at all. I'm gonna see if I can skip school today." She yawned, placing the glass on the table.

I nodded and pulled out my phone, checking my Instagram feed. Most of it were posts about me being a "possessed mermaid". Nerissa took notice of what I was doing and opened her mouth wide like she would at the dentist.

"You're not supposed to have Instagram." she blurted. Nerissa's probably gonna snitch anyways.

"Cool," I payed no attention to her.

She snatched the device and threw it on the hardwood floor.

"Hey!" I shouted in shock. I'm gonna kill her if she even scratched my phone.

"I'm going to tell on you." she smirked. Just as I predicted.

"You're such a little kid. Grow up already, won't you?! Also, do yourself a favor and go to school while you're at it."

She stuck her tongue out at me and pulled out her own phone. And this family calls me childish?

I got out of my seat to check if my phone was alright. Lucky goody-goody Nerissa, it was fine.

Nerissa's mom walked into the dining room half awake like the rest of us. She obviously didn't have the most sleep either. Her eyes had visible bags underneath them, and she was trying to keep her red-shaded eyes open. She dragged herself to the table and sat down next to Nerissa. She put her head down and fell asleep right away. What a snob.

"She looks like a crazy lady." laughed Nerissa. That's one thing I can agree on.

Next, my dad came in with a large mug of black coffee. He seemed like he was the only one who wasn't tired, unlike the rest of us. Taking the last seat, he sat down next to me.

"Because of you, your mom and I couldn't stop arguing last night!" He shouted as he slammed his coffee on the table.

"Okay...no 'good morning' or a 'hey Ondine'?" What a way to start a morning. I can't even be surprised at this point.