Chapter 18 - Steady reveal

«««««Nonso»»»»»

After staring at the unknown number for a moment, I finally picked the call. "Yes this is Nonso Onochie.... What?...Okay I'll be there in 15 minutes."
The call was from the hospital and they bore bad news.

My dad? Accident?

This can't be true.

I quickly dashed into the room to get my car keys.

"Guy are you okay?" Abel who was wearing an apron and holding two long spoons asked as he studied my demeanour.

"I can't talk. My dad is in hospital as we speak and I have to be there." I quickly dismissed him, grabbed my keys and scurried away.

"Okay text me the address. I'll be there too." Abel yelled after.

"Okay." I replied.

I got into my car, started the engine and drove straight to the hospital.

"My father was rushed here a while ago." I said to the nurse I met at the reception room of the hospital.

She eyed me from my head to my toe, making me conscious of myself, "Who's your father?" she asked with a sassy tone.

"Mr..." As I was about to speak, I heard my name.

"Chinonso!" I turned to the direction of the sound just to see an old family friend.

I left the nurse and walked towards him, "Doctor Frank! What a pleasure." I chirped eagerly as I shook his hands with a small bow.

He patted my shoulder and grinned innocently, "Look at you, all grown up. You must be here for your father." He said.

"Yes doctor please how is he?" I asked hastily.

He shook his head, "Come with me." Was all he said as he gestured for me to follow him.

I silently prayed for a miracle. I took one last look at the nurse and she hissed, loud enough for me hear.

I followed Doctor Frank to his office and sat on an opposite empty chair.

He walked towards a cabinet just beside his table, retrieved an office file and began sorting them.
The suspense in the whole thing was just killing me.

I mean, my father, his friend is somewhere within these walls and he's acting nonchalant about it.

"Can I see my father now?" I blurted in frustration.

He looked up to me and smiled, "I'm afraid you can't." He said and continued sorting his file.

"Sir?" I asked. Just to be sure I don't have ear problem.

He chuckled. "Sir please this is not a laughing matter, I have to know the status of my father's health." I said again impatiently.

He slipped out a paper from the file and placed it on his table, "Nonso... Nonso... I see you've still got your resilience with you." He said and sat on his chair touching his grey beards with all seriousness.
"If you must know, your father, my friend is undergoing a minor surgery as we speak so there's nothing to worry about. He will be fine."

I sighed in relief, "Oh thank God! What about his driver?" I inquired.

"He's fine too. Just minor injuries." He said.

"Can I see him?" I pushed further.

"Yes and No." He replied and leaned forward.

"Sir?" I said.