Chapter 21 - The Messenger

«««««Nonso»»»»»

I paced frantically in the waiting room. I couldn't sit or think straight.

What if something bad happens to him? I would never be able to forgive myself. Never.

Why did I even showed him the photo in the first place knowing fully well that he just got discharged from the hospital and probably needs more time to heal from the trauma.

And who was the goddamn woman in that photo?!!

Oh God!! I raked my fingers through my hair in frustration.

"Where is that stupid boy?" I heard a well familiar voice yell from the hallway.

I almost forgot that I had to deal with her drama too. And I'm certainly no mood for it.

"Ohh! so this is where you are." She approached me with a huge scowl on her face. Cynthia was trailing behind her clutching a small purse under her arm.

"Nonso what happened?" Cynthia asked eagerly.

Mother launched at me and immediately grabbed the collar of my shirt with her two tiny hands, "What have you done to my husband?!! What have you done?!!" She was practically shouting.

Sometimes I wonder what my father saw in her because even though she's my mother, she disgusts me. No offense Cynthia.

I kept mute as she dragged my collar more, I didn't bother putting up a resistance.

Cynthia tried separating her from me but to no avail. "Mom please! Listen to him first." She pleaded.

"Just don't mum me!." She swatted her hand away and turned back to me. "So this is your plan right? You want make me a widow!!" She rambled on.
A small crowd had already begin to gather. Some were already with their phones ready to know what will happen between mother and son. Gossips.

She removed her hands from my collar and began dragging my trousers. Probably because she was tired to stretching too much.

I don't mean to be rude but she's short and I thank God I didn't take that gene neither did Cynthia.

"Ahh!! Your plan won't work. My enemies shall never prevail against me." She flung her free hand in the air and stamped her feet on the floor continuously.

She bored daggers into my soul as she stared at me whilst pointing a finger at me, "If anything should happen to my husband, I swear I will skin you alive, you will wish you were never born. In fact I will..."

"Madam please this is a hospital and this type of outburst is not appreciated." A small nurse came to my rescue and spoke calmly.

Mother released her grip on me and turned to the nurse, "Just look at this small brat." She started.

"Excuse me?" The nurse asked in utter shock.

"Have you been married before?" She asked. This woman just doesn't know when to stop.

"Madam please." The nurse pleaded again.

"Just answer me first." Mother urged.

The nurse shook her head slowly, "With all due respect ma I..."

Mother interrupted as she clapped her hands dramatically, "I knew it!! You are not married. In fact you look like those girls that sleep with their father's mate for a living." She spewed with no remorse.

"Mother!!!" Cynthia yelled in shock too.

As for me. I'm not surprised at all.

"Ohh yes! So you won't know what it means to have your husband lying on a hospital bed battling with his life." She said.