Chapter 30 - Frienemies

«««««Soma»»»»»

"Helen!!" I squealed with exuberance as I engulfed her in a tight hug.

I've missed my best friend so much.

"Oh my goodness! Soma when did you get back?" She queried with equal enthusiasm.

"On Wednesday." I replied as we both sat on the bed, holding hands. "I've missed you so much!" I said whlist grinning from ear to ear.

"Me too!" She squealed.

Her roommate -Kayode- who had her head buried in a book stole a glance at us, sighed and continued reading.

I suddenly removed my hands from her grasp with a pout and frowned, "Why are you acting like you care? You couldn't even disturb me with your calls and you call yourself a bestie. It's not fair oo." I complained bitterly.

"Soma I'm sorry. I've been really busy."

"Too busy to even place a call?" I snapped back harshly.

"I'm really sorry please don't be mad." She pleaded pathetically.
The fact that she's pleading for my forgiveness is making me bubble inside but I can't let her know.

"What have you been so busy with?" I asked and she avoided my gaze.

"Errmm..." She stuttered.

"What is that? Better start talking!!" I urged.

She stood up and picked up a bag on the floor, "My parents wants me to transfer school."

"Transfer to where?" I asked confusedly.

"They want me to school in America." She replied and zipped the bag.

"But you are already in your 3rd year. Just one more year to go and you can further your education over there." I specified.

"No." She deadpanned.

I stood up and confronted her, "No what? You want to forget good 3 years of stress and start all over from the beginning?" I queried already getting irritated.

"It's all for a greater good." She muttered.

I sighed tiredly and sat back on the bed, "I need to talk some sense into your parent's head. Why would they make such decision?"

She slung the bag across her shoulder and stared at me, "And what if that's what I want?" She retorted.

"Then your head is not correct." I snapped immediately.

"I have to go." She began walking towards the door

"Go where?" I asked, getting more and more frustrated.

I thought she said she missed me, then why doesn't she want to spend time with me ignoring the fact that I came here myself.

"I have to collect some documents from jamb office and I have to be there on time." She replied as she held the door open.

Is it just me? Or is she acting wierd?

I scoffed and turned to her, "Helen is there something you are not telling me?"

"I'll call you when I get back." She said and slammed the door.

"Helen?" I called but it was futile.

What's going on? And why does she want to change schools all of a sudden? Could this be the reason why she has been keeping to herself?

My thought was disrupted by series of laughter.