Chapter Three

JJ sits at the table floored by this girl.

"I think I'm going to head in," Anna awkwardly stands. "We will meet you tomorrow by the west barn, Jack if you don't mind showing us tomorrow where that is and we can get started.

"Yes, I'd be happy to. I'll have Wyatt give you a tour," Jack agrees.

"Thank you," She waves and leaves to catch up to Everett.

"What the hell is your problem?" Momma snaps at JJ.

"I know this chick from somewhere!" JJ tries to defend himself. "I swear, Momma, I've seen her before!"

"So? That doesn't mean you can be a dick to her!" Jack stares JJ down.

"Son, if you want to help, tone down your attitude!" Momma warns.

"I'm looking out for this place!" JJ snaps.

"No, you are causing more issues!" Momma corrected him.

Pops slams his hand on the table and startles everyone. Being a pretty laid-back person JJ has been pushing everyone's buttons.

"Enough, JJ! I get you are not happy about this but you need to get on board. This is what WE are doing. Join us or get the hell out! It's enough of a fight to keep your mom and me in our home and this land in our family! I don't need to fight with you!" Pops yells.

"Pops, I didn't realize it was that bad," JJ furrows his brows in confusion.

"It is," Pops bows his head.

"I'm not feeling so well, I am going to turn in. Love, just put the food in the kitchen and I'll tend to the cleaning tomorrow morning," Momma gently pats Pop's shoulder and walks out of the dining room.

"Ok, I'll follow soon," Pops speaks over his shoulder, " JJ, I mean it. You are not on board then pack your shit and head back to your city. I will not have you disrespect this family with your heartless and selfish attitude,"

"Dad..." JJ tries.

"No!" Pops cuts him off, "You boys will put the food away nicely and clean the dishes and kitchen. Your momma did not deserve the way tonight went down. Do you think this change is easy for her or us? This was never the plan,"

"I am still trying to wrap my head around why?" JJ admits.

"The bank is on the verge of taking everything," Pops admits. He hasn't told JJ a lot of things going on at the ranch. JJ never intended to return to the ranch to live. Pops believed he just didn't need to know.

"What?" JJ Can't believe what he's hearing.

"They are about to lose everything JJ, This is a hail mary pass," Jack gives a bit more.

Pops points to JJ, "Don't make this situation worse,"

"Yes, sir," I nod my head.

Pops leaves the table and Jack immediately gets up and starts to clear the table.

"Jack,"

"Just don't. No one asked you to come home. You made it clear you wanted out of this small town to have a better life. No-one stopped you, but for those of us who love it here, it's disrespectful to us. You have got to ease up," Jack explains.

"Ok, I will. I promise I will be better,"

"Be better to Roxana. John Sampson gave her a glowing recommendation and asked her personally to come here as a favor. She is in high demand as a photographer. Anna ran Sampson's farm wedding venue and did amazing work,"