Chapter Eight

Everett walks back to her cottage as quickly as she can. She's feeling the soreness from the fall, landing harder than what she led on. No concussion or broken bones but it took her breath away.

She shakes her head from JJ trying to be nice, but she can only see it as pretending nice. She had to get out before her anxiety kicked into overdrive and decide to question everything he said or did.

He was gentle and calm but then his words would cut like knives.

"Fucking prick," She whispered under her breath.

She sends a text off to Anna to let her know she was staying in tomorrow. Anna responded letting her know that she would handle things with Wyatt.

She gets in her cottage and grabs a cold beer. She walks to the bathroom and instead of a normal shower, she runs a hot bath. Hoping to soothe her muscles and non-evident bruise on her back. It's just sore at the moment.

She grabs some bath salts and throws them in, waiting for the tub to fill.

Grabbing her phone, she turns on some slow jazz to relax. The drums, trumpets, string instruments play in perfect harmony. Her stepmom, Sadie, used to play music anytime she could. They rocked out with AC/DC, all the way to classic Elvis. To get Gunnar and Hudson game day ready it was Eminem or Dr. Dre.

Everett sinks into the bath and lets the bubbles and salts take over her senses. That in comparison to the cold beer is slowly easing her overly anxious mind.

She replays the moments over and over in her head. The way he touched her, the way he looked at her... Stupid Everett, it's all fake!

Everett lays in the bath until it gets cold. Drying off and getting into her pajamas she starts to get in bed with the TV on as white noise and she's got her book out when she hears someone knock at the door.

She's shocked by who is behind the door.

"Are you ok?" JJ blatantly says.

"I'm fine," She responds with an equal tone.

"Woman! Why are you being so tough," He snaps.

"Why do you care?"

"You drive me crazy!" JJ admits.

"Then, I'll stay away from you, and you stay away from me!"

"Seriously?!"

"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?" Everett yells her frustration. "I know you want me gone, I get it, you don't want me here. You don't need to keep telling me over and over again,"

"It's not that!" JJ is having trouble understanding why she is here. He knows from his time in the service to trust his gut when someone isn't being fully truthful. "Tell me why you are here?"

"I did!" She fights back. "I haven't lied to you about why I am here!"

"Then..."

"Stop! God, just go!" She cuts him off. She can feel the tears building and she knows she's losing it.

She had inadvertently backed away from the door to walk away so she could fight the tears, she didn't realize he had let himself in the door and shut it behind him.

"You are consuming my mind," He runs his hand through his hair, "You are getting under my skin. Everyone thinks you are so great..."

"I'm not a bad person!" She cuts him off again.

"Then why do I feel like you are hiding something?"

"Probably the same reason you are holding onto something that is making you into a huge prick towards me," She fights back. "Why are you so good to other people and Anna but you treat me like crap?"