Chapter Twenty Seven

Everett couldn't sleep that night. She's been a complete mess with the uncertainty of her future, her mom, and Brittany's poor decisions. How can she once again come after a family with no remorse?

How can someone so amazing as JJ want to put up with her? She wipes a stray tear and wishes that she should've kept her distance and not let that wall down. He pulled down that concrete wall to her heart and the other walls fell to pieces.

Finally over just laying in bed letting her mind wander to what if's, she gets out of bed. Throwing on some ragged clothes and she walks to the western barn. Needing to release some extra tension she decides to build something special for Jack and Heather. It seems to distract her for the next few hours. She takes a moment and heads to the kitchen and storage area. She looks around at the room and takes note of the work to be done. Rerunning electricity and plumbing to this area but she will do her best to fix as much as she can.

She has her music blasting and more tears are coming to a head from all the thoughts that are creeping back in her head. She is shaken to her core by a voice.

"Honey, I'm here," Brittany says rather too loudly. "Oh, Everett! Look at you, you are a mess,"

"Mom," Everett walks up and hugs her.

"Tell me what happened," Her mom enthusiastically.

Everett turns and guides her to the kitchen to show her. She rolls her eyes when her mom isn't looking. "It was fine and then, boom fire! They kind of blamed me for making the changes and adding this area. I just thought it would be easier this way for food and clean up. My ideas have always been good but here it's been a struggle,"

"They just don't know what a good thing is when they see it!" Brittany waves her hand and looks around the room with disgust.

"I just don't understand how they could blame me? It was Brian who started it!" Everett throws the line out.

"What?!" Brittany suddenly gives Everett all her attention.

"Brian, they told me that it was Brian who started the fire. I don't understand how he could've done this. When I met with him he didn't understand how to light a match. Something about the smell and his clothes,"

"He really isn't that bright," Brittany huffs.

"What do you mean?"

"Listen, he asked about our house and I told him about Justin and how dumb he was,"

"He was a goober," Everett is trying to suppress the vomit from coming up. This throwback to her childhood is settling a bit too deep.

"Exactly! I just didn't realize he would come here. I guess losing that deal was too much for him,"

"Why would he come after me though, why would this family blame me," Everett drops her head.

"They are just a lower-class family. Easier to blame on others," Brittany says without even thinking. Everett is trying to keep her cool but her mom is pushing it. "Listen, karma happens. They deserve to let things burn down if they treated you this bad,"

"But you knew he had to have been up to something if he asked about the fire,"

"I suspected," Brittany taps her fake nails together. "Ok, yes I knew," She finally admits. "They tried to brainwash you with settling less than you deserve! I simply told Brian how it happened at our house and what to do so he wouldn't get caught. Guess he wasn't that smart,"

Everett nods her head and struggles to speak. She can feel the angry tears surfacing. "No," She coughs trying to find the words. "No, he wasn't,"

She takes a step back and watches the police walk in. They arrived shortly before Brittany did and stayed behind the new storage wall that she and JJ built yesterday. They start to talk to Brittany and Everett turns her back on them.