Chapter Twenty One

Everett was sitting on the floor at the coffee table editing some photos when she heard a knock at the door.

"JJ, you don't have to..." She swings the door open and there stand Anna and her mom. "Anna? Mother?"

"Darling," She flings her arms around her daughter.

"I found her in town asking for directions here, figured it was best if I brought her myself," Anna gives her a face, knowing exactly what she means.

"Anna, that was very kind of you. I appreciate it," Everett thanks.

"Uh, yeah..." She walks away as fast as she can, heading to the main house. She is giving Momma and Pops a fair warning about Everett's high maintenance mother.

The last time she found Everett, she made her life a living hell.

"Mother, please come in,"

Brittany barges through with a few bags and tosses them on the couch.

"Everett! This place is a dump!" She looks around. "How long are you here for?"

"6 more months of work here," She lies. She needs to have a start to the next place even if it's to go back home.

"Oh God, Child!"

"It's not bad,"

"Well, I will need to speak with the owner. Everyone called him Pop?" She continues to snoop around the cottage.

"Yes ma'am,"

"Ok, I will need to speak with him,"

"What about?"

"Your rate dear," She smugly states.

"My lawyer has the contract and it's a done deal," Everett defends herself. Brittany has no idea that Everett isn't taking payments since they are allowing her to live here rent-free.

"No reason that it can't be increased! The more money the better you can afford a different place to stay. Plus when I was visiting the Real Estate Companies location here in Montana I met Brian. He is head of the entire region with a fast track to corporate!" She lets on. "We were talking and he mentioned the Christmas Party, of course, I was invited to. He said the famous Roxana was the photographer, oh darling! I can't tell you what it means to finally meet up with you! You are so busy! Is the bathroom in the same building or do you use an outhouse? Do you have running water?"

"Yes, it is a fully working cottage. The bathroom is through there," Everett points.

She watches her walk away and quickly grabs her phone to text JJ to stay away but it's too late. He knocks on the door.

When he comes in, Everett can't tell her mom that he and Jack own this place. She will eat them alive. Country life is not for high maintenance and she is top tier high maintenance. Everett still has a phobia that if anyone angers her, she is liable to start a fire. Figuratively and literally. She has never forgiven her dad or Sadie for being happy.

JJ has a quick mouth and slow brain to process things. She loves that man but him speaking before he thinks with her mom and someone will get hurt. Last time she was able to ruin the reputation of a friend, who turned their back on Everett and sold private photos to the press. Brittany refused to pay to get the pictures back.

This place is too special to Everett to let her ruin it in any way.

When they finish dinner, Everett all but pushes him out of the cottage. The less time she spends with him the better, everyone has a chance to get out unharmed.