Chapter Twenty Nine

Everett and JJ are on their way home from the airport and just like all the times before he has her hand resting on his chest.

To think it took her less than five minutes to hate this man when they first met. She couldn't ever imagine finding someone to match her weirdness or understand what it's like to be less than herself.

In 6 months this man has torn her life up. Every expectation has been smashed. He brings me to full anticipation for what she can do.... Correction, what they can do next.

"Why do you do that?" Everett points to his hand.

"What?"

"That, or I mean this," She gestures to him holding her hand over his chest.

"Because you hold my heart in your hands and I want it as close to me as I can," He admits. Everett scrunches her nose. "What? Too cheesy?"

"Very! But I like it!"

JJ tightens his grip on her hand she squeezes back, assuring him just like he likes.

It was an incredible week away with him. They walked around, saw a few blues bands, went to a swamp, all the New Orleans stuff they could do. Spent most of the time in bed.

They talked about a lot of personal things and their wants for the future. Nothing was concrete or set in stone but what he did was reassure her that he will be there for her tomorrow and the days after. The small promise she's been wanting to hear her whole life.

It's late when they get back to the ranch. Jack and Heather are still on their honeymoon, Momma and Pop are at their place at the front of the property. Anna and Wyatt made some friends in town so they are staying in town for a few days.

The entire ranch is theirs.

"Let's leave the luggage for the night. Let's just head in and sleep," Everett suggests.

"Sounds good. Grocery store in the morning?"

Everett nods her head. It's been a long day of travel and they are both exhausted. When the door closes behind them, both Everett and JJ strip and get into comfortable clothes. Everett grabs one of his shirts, typical she knows but it is way more comfortable. Plus he gets excited since he knows that is all she wears.

When they lay their heads on the pillows, JJ makes a loud moaning noise which catches Everett off guard. She hadn't touched him... yet.

"Are you ok?" Everett asks worriedly.

"This bed, home, it's good to be here," he moans.

"Sounds like you enjoy this bed more than having sex," Everett teases.

"Negative terror. Just enjoying our bed, in OUR home, together. No place I'd rather be," He pulls her close to him. He never expected her to stay or want him. The moment she said yes is the start of a whole new life for him, again.

"You are such a girl!" She jokes.

"Hey now!" He says with a girly voice. "You are sooooo going to hurt my feelings!"

"No!" She laughs as JJ gives her a bear hug. "No, no, no!"

"Say sorry!"

"I am soo sorry!" she sarcastically apologizes.

"That wasn't genuine!" He holds her tighter.

"I'm sorry you make poor decisions!" She says as he is laying on top of her. Her face is next to his neck and he has zero ideas about the sneak attack she is about to do.