Chapter Four

Jack and Everett work throughout the day cleaning and pulling stuff down for painting.

The plan is to power-wash the entire barn down on the inside and outside. It will take some time of course, but Everett is ready for the challenge. Her dad was always hands-on for fixing stuff and she tried her best to help. Her real mom wanted the polished look. When they divorced, her dad stepped up and did more projects with her. When she started photography, he was right there teaching her to make or to fix things. With her real mom, it was hair professionally done, nice clothes, and being photo-ready.

It's just after lunchtime and Momma and Pops drive up and have lunch ready in the back of their truck.

"Roxana, I hope sandwiches are ok," Momma hands her a plate of food.

"They are perfect," Everett graciously accepts.

"You are covered in mud and dust, are you ok?" He looks at her disheveled look.

"I Fought the stall and it won," She huffs. "Don't worry, I'm not giving up easy," She winks at Pops.

"Amen girl" Momma smiles sweet.

"Where is JJ?" Pops looks around.

"Up in the loft area," Jack says.

"You made him go to the loft?" Pops chuckles.

"Yup, he can handle it," Jack shrugs.

"Go get him and tell him lunch is here," Pops waves him off.

"Yes sir," He drags his feet walking away.

Everett sits and stuffs her face with food, working up a massive appetite.

"Momma and Pops, I'd like to personally apologize for my behavior," Everett offers.

"No need honey, It's good to have some fight in ya," Momma comforting Everett. "My son wasn't being too nice. I'm glad you didn't back down,"

"Still, it was our first time meeting and it was disrespectful," Everett respectfully offers. "You do make the best coleslaw by the way,"

Momma rubs Everetts's arm and smiles sweetly while Everett shoves a large bite in her mouth. They hear loud thumping above them and then followed by laughing.

"I had you!" Jack yells.

"The hell you did!" JJ pushes Jack to the side as they stomp down the stairs.

JJ Is dripping in sweat and Everett has to avert her eyes. She grabs another half sandwich and a drink. She takes another big bite and waves to Momma and Pops as she walks out of the barn.

"Where are you going, Roxana?" Jack asks.

Everett just waves without looking back. The fresh summer air hits her like a breath of fresh air and she walks over to a fenced area. She lays in the grass looking up at the sky. Eating and relaxing before she goes back to cleaning. This barn is beautiful. So much bigger and better than Sampson's farm and when it's finished it will be the most beautiful backdrop for weddings, parties, engagement photos.

Everett finishes and heads back inside where everyone is sitting and eating.

"You good? It's a lot of work," Momma asks.

"It's worth it. I love this part. Putting together a picture like a puzzle," Everett beams.

"That's lovely Roxana, I like that picture," Momma agrees.

"Now, once we get it all cleared out we can hang some lights from the rafters for the evening weddings or parties. The loft area is perfect for a pool table," Everett points around the barn.