Chapter Ten

Everett slams the door behind her and leans against it. Dizzy from the lack of air she can bring herself to breathe.

She can't even think of a moment that topped that kiss.

Birth of niece and nephews?

No.

Brother's weddings?

No.

Her galleries?

No.

That single moment was just them two and she was almost vulnerable. Panicking she needs her mom. Not her real mom but an actual mom. Picking up the phone with her shaky hands she calls Sadie.

"Everett, my beautiful girl!"

Breathing heavily she's still trying to catch her breath. "Mom,"

"What's wrong?!"

"I can't breathe!"

"Shhhhhh, honey, shhhh," Sadie tries to calm her down. "It's ok, deep breath with me ok, In"

Everett takes a deep breath in.

"Out,"

She lets out a breath.

"Now, Everett, words..."

"There's this guy and he's been infuriating me for the past two months and we get under each other's skin. I thought we haunted each other and I could not stand him! He treated me like I was fragile and insignificant! Then we had this cattle drive where he broke his prosthetic leg and I fixed it! Yes, he has one leg, it doesn't bother me or matter, but that's beside the point. He hasn't been so bad since then and today he took me to see the wild horses and MOM it was amazing! Then he kissed me! ME!" Everett finishes her rant waiting on Sadie to respond. All she hears is silence. "Mom?"

"Oh, I was waiting for the next verbal vomit,"

"Mom!"

Sadie laughs causing Everett to break out in a giggle.

"So, what is the actual problem?" Sadie asks.

"He doesn't know my history or anything. The kiss was beyond amazing and it felt so good and safe,"

"Ok..."

"I leave in 4 months,"

"Ok,"

"I don't know what to do,"

"Everett, you have been hiding behind that Roxana persona for years. It's helped you be truly you, but it has hindered any forward future with people,"

"That's because they want what the name comes with. Brothers and press,"

"True, but if you keep hiding, you'll never find the truth outside of the four walls of your home,"

"What if he walks away though? It's too much! What if I like him more than just like and he walks away or uses me? I can't handle it. I've never felt this way before, Mom. I'm out of my league," Everett breathlessly states. "What do I do?"

"Enjoy the good!" Sadie beams through the phone. "Remember they come few and far between. When you find someone that gives you that feeling, the good will far outweigh any bad. Live with no regrets and, Everett, tell him your truth. The real story,"

"What if he walks away?"

"Then you, my beautiful strong woman, will persevere. Let the tears fall and carry the weight of disappointment with them," Sadie offers. If anyone knows what it's like to feel disappointed and hurt, it's this woman.