Gentle Arms Strong Arms

Dixie has never felt as lonely and helpless like she does now. There was a complete vice on her heart which squeezes with intense pressure, the pain unbearable. Social media and attention once gave her a sense of light and belonging but in an instance, it was taken away and replaced by a darkness that overshadowed every moment that made her career soulfully filled with joy. One comment, one glance, and one man can take that all away. She's been trapped in her darkness for a whole day now, not once coming out for a drink of water. She stared at the broken iPhone that sat on the ground with small shattered fragments of glass huddled around the mess she's made. She was the mess, that was just one representation of it. She couldn't dare show herself to anyone. She was too embarrassed to show her face and her dirty body that's been imprinted by the man that invaded her space, leaving her helpless and terrified.

Tears cleansed her reddened cheeks as it wouldn't stop coming. She'd try so hard to stop crying, make everything stop but she couldn't. The path of tears got lost upon her cheeks as they began to blur her vision with many waves of sadness. She was vulnerable and lonely. She knew she needed someone. Someone to help her navigate through this tough time with the grotesque feelings. However, she didn't want her mother, her father, or even her sister—for some reason, she couldn't help but wish she was with Noah... talking to him.

Maybe she was hallucinating. Maybe being trapped within yourself in a dark, lifeless bedroom made her hear things. But she could've sworn that she heard Noah's voice from the other side of her locked door. Did she need him that badly? So bad that her own father's voice began to sound like Noah's?

"Dixie, please... let me in." He begged as another three knocks were followed by his pleading.

Dixie wiped at her fallen tears although that was useless as only more streamed down her saddened face, "dad, I don't want to talk right now."

"It's not your dad." She could hear rummaging from outside the door, "it's Noah." Her eyes widened and her heart sped up. How could he be here? Why would he be here? So many wild thoughts ran through her mind like a flash. Nothing made sense to her as she moved to her door and unlocked it, unknowing of what she'd find—who she'd find, she knew she'd find him after a few more seconds of being reasonable. She opened it just a crack and he shimmied through and when their eyes connected, it was as if everything was okay again. The pain in her heart was ignored and the fear of not having anyone care and love her was gone. At the mere sight of him, every bad thought, feeling, went away with just one sad smile that he gave her before out stretching his arms for her as she finally got to touch him. His hug was so captivating and warm, it felt safe and comforting. It was a hug of gentle arms. His gentle arms gave Dixie a reassurance that he was there for her and then his hug is a hug of strong arms that helps her realize who she is. Her breathing regulated as she snuggled against his chest, finally her tears stopped and she took a deep break every time he softly pressed a kiss to the top of her head. He guided her to the bed and wrapped her up into her comforter with the extra comfort of himself. He wrapped an arm around her shoulder and pulled her in closer, soothingly rubbing her arm. Despite the heaving and the heartbreak in the pit of her stomach, it began to flutter wildly as her body pressed up against his. She was appreciative that he had come and she was grateful for the warmth and care he provided when she knew she needed it most. She breathed in his heavenly scent before looking up at him, now their lips just inches apart.

She smiled slowly, "what are you doing here?" She whispered.

"I came here for you. You didn't answer me," he sighed as he saw the shattered phone on the ground. "Now I see why."

"I'm sorry you have to see me like this." She said, looking down before her head was guided up by his finger under her chin, forcing her to look at him. "Don't be sorry. It's okay to cry and it's okay to be sad and ask for some reassurance." He reminded her. His heart was slowly breaking for the girl in his arms. Despite the giddiness and the fluttery feeling he felt when he touched her soft skin, he could feel in the pit of his stomach the anger at the man who decided to harass her and guilt washing over his body—cleansing it.

"Dixie, please," he begged, "tell me what happened."

She knew she'd have to. He was here for her and that's all the reassurance she needed to know that she could trust him with all of her heart and maybe, opening up about her internal feelings wasn't as bad as she had experienced before. If any of her past boyfriends had seen her like this, they would've been out the door within seconds. But not Noah. He stayed. He was going to stay through it all. And although she's never asked for it, it was what she needed.

Authors note:
I'm all about character development and Dixie's slowly progressing!!

To me, slow burns are kinda like how they have feelings for each other and they can be flirty but not have a label on anything which brings us some drama and insecurities.

I hope you guys are enjoying this book so far... I'll try updating again as soon as possible because I know this chapter is short ❤️