Part Thirteen

With the sound of a guitar drifting from the stage, I sat up and looked around, blushing as I realised that the majority of couples around us were locked in intimate embraces and taking advantage of the romantic scenery.

Too nervous to look around at North, I turned my attention to the picnic basket, “What’s in here?” I asked, lifting the lid.

Movement from beside me and his hand reached over to cover mine “Let me show you.”

He pulled the basket closer and began to dig around pulling out a number of small containers, “Strawberries, marshmallows, bananas and dipping chocolate.”

My eyes widened at his choices. I’d honestly expected a bowl of yogurt or fruit salad. Surely this wasn’t my North who was vehemently against my chocolate consumption.

He looked at my face and grimaced slightly, “I was out-voted. I was just going to make up some bowls of fruit and custard but no one would let me.”

I giggled slightly and lifted a hand to quickly cover my mouth. If anything could set off North, it was unhealthy food choices and I didn’t want to ruin the date by hearing him grumble about the desert.

“I would’ve enjoyed whatever you packed,” I removed my hand and sent him a smile. It wasn’t just an appeasement; I always enjoyed whatever they decided to feed me.

He grumped and opened the containers, “Do you want toothpicks?”

I shook my head and chose a strawberry to slide it across the top of the chocolate, “No, this is fine.”

 Avoiding the marshmallows, he chose a slice of banana and popped it straight in to his mouth, relaxing back onto his hands and glancing out over the crowd. The sounds of a saxophone joined the beat and I closed my eyes with contentment.

Nothing could have been better after the excitement of the day. Although I had loved Legoland with Luke and the tour with Nathan, it seemed as though my North Star had known exactly the kind of thing that I would need so that my nerves weren’t jumping before bed.

Movement next me and North reached out to pick at the food once more. He slowly worked his way through the fruit and I finally laughed.

He huffed and looked at me, “What’s so funny, Baby?”

“You are,” I giggled.

He frowned, “Why?”

I gestured at the food, “I just always think its funny how a sixteen year old is so anal about their diet.”

He pointed a finger at my nose, “There’s nothing wrong with eating healthy. Luke’s going end up a diabetic or some shit because of all that crap he eats.”

Amazed once more that they could be brothers, my smile softened and I reached over to tap North’s cheek, “Since this is meant to be my night,” I chose a marshmallow and dipped it liberally in the sauce, “I want you to eat this.” I lifted a finger as he opened his mouth to protest, “Just one. Please.” I pouted.

He groaned and shook his head at me, “You’re going to be the death of me, Sang Baby.”

I frowned over that but was immediately distracted by North leaning forward and using his mouth to pluck the sweet from between my fingers. His tongue flicked over them at the dripping chocolate and I shivered slightly.

He pulled back and his face twisted at the taste. Swallowing, he wrinkled his nose at me, “How can you eat that?”

Another laugh slipped out, “Because it’s yummy.”

I pointed to the corner of my mouth and then waved at him, “You’ve got some on your face.”

He wiped across his mouth but still missed it. I giggled at him and pointed again.

He shook his head with an exasperated smile, “You get it, Baby.”

I don’t know what made me do it, except for a desire to alleviate some of the pressure in my chest. I ignored the serviette he held out, moved closer to him and leaned forward the lick the chocolate softly from the edge of his lips.

A gasp escaped us both at my actions and I jerked back, ready to apologize and die from embarrassment but the look on his face stopped me.

His eyes showed shock and…and desire?

I wasn’t sure since I’d never been able to identify it before but my uncertainty was blown away when he suddenly jerked me into his arms and in a fierce kiss that had me struggling to return it.

He tasted of sugar, chocolate and North. I sighed, he growled and we both lost ourselves in the moment as the music swelled and the night sky twinkled with a thousand lights.