Part Seventeen

“But…I want this holiday to be fun for all of us and…” I paused looking around at them all, blushing under their scrutiny and unable to find the words to explain how I had felt when I’d come home to find them all laughing together.

“And what?” North asked his gaze intense.

Sean shook his finger at me and quickly swallowed his mouthful of egg, “You thought you’d be intruding, didn’t you?”

I looked down. “Not exactly. I was tired and you were all laughing and drinking,” I stressed the last word, looking up to see some of them cover sheepish expressions, “and I thought that you could use a boys only night.”

“Aggele Mou,” Silas’ voice was chiding but his eyes sparkled.

Kota pushed his glasses further up his nose, “You wouldn’t have been interrupting.”

“Yeah, Peanut. We missed you,” Nathan grumbled at me.

I lifted a finger to my lip and pushed, “I’m sorry. I didn’t know you’d be upset with me.”

“No one is angry or upset, Miss Sorenson,” Mr Blackbourne finally spoke up, “we were simply curious as to why you avoided our company last night.”

Finally exasperated, I pushed my mostly empty plate away, “I wasn’t avoiding any of you. I was just…”

“Tired,” they all answered for me and I sent a narrowed glance around the dining table.

“I guess that I won’t do it again.”

They all nodded and a tension that I hadn’t even noticed seemed to seep out of them.

“So…” Kota spoke up, “Are you ready for today?”

I grinned, “Of course, any clues about the activities?”

They shot sly, happy glances at one another before turning innocently to me.

Luke pointed at Kota, “Nerdy.” Silas, “Hotdogs.” And Victor, “Musical.”

I laughed as the three in question all turned furious and insulted faces towards their mischievous brother.  

Victor, sitting next to him, reached out and chopped Luke on the head, “We would’ve liked to build the suspense and make our plans a complete surprise.”

“Yeah, Aggele Mou probably thinks I’m taking her out to the processed meat factory or something,” Silas growled, unimpressed with Luke’s apologetic expression.

“I would totally enjoy that,” I threw out, happy that they all relaxed and began laughing at my feigned bounce of excitement.

Kota shook his head, “We can do a bit better than that.” He looked down at his watch before jumping up and grabbing up our plates, “We’d better get a wriggle on. We’re leaving in about half an hour.”

“Don’t I get anything besides ‘nerdy’?”

He shook his head with a small smirk, “That pout doesn’t work on me like it does Gabe.”

“Hey, fuck you man,” Gabe groused, before pointing a finger at my nose, “Suck in the quivering lip or I’ll lock you up for the day.”

I pulled it in, much to their shared amusement, and quickly ran from the room.

“Baby?” North yelled, possibly startled by my abrupt exit but I didn’t stop. I threw a giggle over my shoulder and called, “I’m getting ready.”

A chair scrapped and I knew with certainty that Meanie was on my tail.

I made it to my bedroom door before I heard him behind me, “Goddamn it, Trouble. Don’t make a man run on a full stomach.”

He pushed past me and started digging through my suitcase, “You’re going to have to have a couple of outfit changes today. I’ll dress you now for Kota and then Silas will bring your second outfit for his afternoon activity before you come home and get spruced up for a night out with Victor.”

It seemed excessive but one look at his face and I couldn’t deny him. “Ok, Meanie. I’ll have a quick bath and then you can do whatever you need to.”

He nodded with a smirk, “I love having you as a model. You’re perfect for it.”

“Why?”

He stared blankly for a moment before he let out a roaring laugh, “More than just trouble.” He waved me towards the bathroom and I entered, still unsure what had amused him.