Part Twenty-Nine

I rolled my head slowly on my neck and unclipped my belt as we finally pulled into the driveway. It had seemed to be a long day and I knew that it wasn’t yet finished as I still had my night with Mr Blackbourne to look forward to.

I had to admit that I was slightly worried about it since I’d never even dreamed that I would one day be going on a genuine date with him!

Sean, reading me like any of them could, snapped off his seat belt and drew me onto his lap, “What’s troubling you, Pookie?”

I yawned, snuggling into him, “Just tired.”

He jiggled me, “And?”

I sighed, “I don’t know what to expect tonight with Mr Blackbourne.”

“You’re worried that he’s only taking you out because we did?”

I thought it over and realised that it was exactly what I was worried about. Mr Blackbourne had always kept up a professional front around except for that fleeting moment we had shared in the Anderson’s bathroom.

“I guess,” I said quietly, looking out the front windscreen as I caught sight of Kota standing there, looking out at the stationary car.

“I know that Owen has always seemed to have trouble showing his emotions around you but I will honestly say that he is looking forward to taking you out tonight.”

“Really?” I pushed a finger to my bottom lip.

I thought he might have nodded but I didn’t bother to lift my head from its resting place, “I think you’re going to be a touch shocked at his choice.” He chuckled and smoothed my down.

“I don’t know how to act around him,” I confessed. With the other boys it always came a touch easier as I followed their lead but with Mr Blackbourne he always made me feel as though I had to be at my most perfect in order to prove my worth.

Another sigh, “I would love to say just be yourself but I know that you do that now and it won’t really help you. Owen has always kept that professional front around everyone and he’s never felt the need to let it down before now. He’s going to try for you, Pookie but it’s going to be a long path and I want you to feel like you can meet him half way.”

He tilted my chin up so that I could clearly see his serious expression, “You don’t need to be someone else around him. I have a request if I may.”

I nodded, “Of course.”

“Push him,” He gazed down at me, “Try to really remember tonight that you’re going on a date with Owen the nineteen year old guy not Mr Blackbourne the Academy team leader. Do whatever you want to do, say whatever you want to and don’t hold back.”

A knock on the driver side window had me jumping slightly; I hadn’t even realised that a number of the others had gotten impatient with waiting for us to make it inside and had decided to demand an explanation for our continued absence.

I smiled at Gabriel as he leaned his nose against the glass before turning back up to Sean, “I’ll try to; I can’t promise that I won’t clam up but I will try.”

He smiled and pecked a kiss against my forehead, “That’s all I can ask. Are you ready to go and introduce our daughter to the others?”

I giggled and opened the door to jump down. North, Gabe and Luke all stepped in close to give me big hugs and asked if I had enjoyed the helicopter ride.

“Of course, I did,” I answered laughing, as I was dragged across the lawn and into the house with Sean trailing behind us, whining about the fact that he was having to take care of the baby while I flirted.

We moved from the front room straight through and out the back door where the others were once again gathered outside but this time instead of mucking around in the spa, they were either prepping a BBQ, that they had pulled from somewhere, and planning a game of football. 

“Peanut,” Nathan cheered, leaving Silas behind to drop sausages onto the hot plate. He ran across the yard, palming Kota playfully out of the way to snatch me from the others and spin around. “How was your day?”

I giggled, throwing my arms around his neck, “Just as fabulous as the last two days. You’re certainly happy, how was your day?”

He lowered me to the ground and buried his face in my neck, “Missed you but we did have and alright morning. We went for a bit of a drive in the city.”

I pouted, disappointed that I had missed doing that with them but I knew that I wouldn’t change how my day had turned out so far.

“What was the best part?” Silas called out, turning to face us for a second before the sizzling grill recaptured his attention.

I shook my head, “I can’t pick just one moment.”

“Haha,” Sean cried, “She just doesn’t want to make you all cry by admitting that our helicopter-baby hospital date has left yours in the dust.”

“Whatever you reckon, Dr Green,” North spoke up, snatching me from Nathan so that he could wrap me up in a hug.

Feeling cheeky, I whispered a silent sorry to Gabe and pulled back to look at as many of them as possible, “I can’t pick my favourite part but I can tell you about what surprised me the most.”

“And what was that, Miss Sorenson?” Mr Blackbourne asked, shooting a funny look at the doll that was still being cuddled by Dr Green.

“Why,” I exaggerated, “When Meanie proposed to me of course.”