Part Twenty

Silas struggled to keep from laughing out loud as I writhed in the backseat, trying to get changed for the adventure that he had planned for us.

“You know that this would be so much easier if you would just let me get changed once we get in,” I grumbled, pulling the shirt over my head and trying not to flush from the knowledge that anyone looking in our direction would see me half naked and twisted up like a pretzel as I tried to change into the clothes that Gabe had sent along with Silas.

“But it wouldn’t be as entertaining as this, Aggele. Plus I’m quite enjoying the view,” the Greek giant answered with a sly tone and my head jerked up so that I could check in the rear view mirror. His eyes twinkled as they met mine and I couldn’t hold the flush back anymore.

“Eyes out the front,” I hissed, leaning down to yank on my socks and a pair of nice sneakers.

Silas had been ready and waiting for me when I’d emerged hand-in-hand with Kota from the Science Centre. We had spent the last hour of our time together mixing extremely dangerous chemicals and throwing them into a testing area where a shield had protected us as they blew up. I’d never thought that I would enjoy it so much but watching as Kota pushed his sleeves back and confidently handled the acids, I had found myself having way more fun than anyone else who had been permitted in the restricted area.

And it seemed that this was a day for firsts as Silas had finally found an empty parking spot. Honouring the type of person he was and the thing that he enjoyed the most, he had managed to get us tickets to one of the last Atlanta Braves games at the extremely popular Turner Field. It wasn’t our team playing but it would have the same atmosphere.

My first ever live game! I finally slipped from the back seat and waited next to the car as Silas hopped out and locked it up before he grabbed up my hand and dragged me through the mass of beeping cars and overly-enthusiastic fans.

A group of guys swarmed around us and slapped at our backs as they noticed that were dressed in support of the home team.

I would have to thank Meanie when we got home. He was amazingly quick at organising outfits for the rest of us and I didn’t want to contemplate what would’ve happened if we’d been amongst the crowd wearing different colours.

I knew from watching on television that when spirits were raised, the team supporters could get wild and aggressive.

Please, let that not happen today!

Silas tugged me closer under his arm as we waited to be admitted into the gates, “Are you ready for this, my little angel?”

I looked up into his beaming face and couldn’t help my grin, “Of course I am. And this so much better than any meat factory.”

He threw back his head and let a roaring laugh escape. It was so relaxed and happy that I couldn’t help but sigh at how handsome he looked in the sunlight with his colouring and the flattering shape and colour of the jersey.

“We seem to be going from one extreme to the other,” he whispered into my ear, “Kota and his science thing, this and then Victor will be taking you to…” He abruptly stopped, as though he finally caught on that he was about to reveal Victor’s secret. “Oops.” He muttered, earning a giggle from me.

“I won’t mention that you nearly gave away his plans for tonight,” I smiled impishly up at him.

He tapped me on the nose, “Always protecting us. He really would’ve killed me if had just blurted it out.” He gave me a mock growl as we moved closer to the front, “Stop looking up at me like that. You make me feel as if I just have spill everything.”

I giggled once more, “Maybe I’m just here as your personal angel-on-the-shoulder.”

He stroked a finger down my cheek, “An angel definitely and you can sit on my shoulder anytime you like.” His grin grew bigger as he watched yet another blush suffuse my face, “I do have to say, I love when you blush.”

I poked my tongue at him for the comment and turned away to smile at the person who was making sure that people entering held a ticket. He was young, maybe the same age as Sean and Mr Blackbourne and I noticed that his eyes were glued to my face and his mouth was sightly hanging.

The whole time that Silas pulled his wallet out to retrieve the tickets, the young man didn’t move and I began to discreetly scrub at my face, wondering if it was dirty.

Silas pulled me away and I saw him rest a gentle hand on the guy’s shoulder, “And she doesn’t even know.”

Confused and wondering what was going on, I waited for the boy to reply but all he did was look down and flush as bright as what my own face had been only moments ago.

We moved on and as soon as I could, I reached up and asked Silas, “What was that about? Do I have something on my face?” It was the only thing that I could think of that would’ve explained the staring. I was also a bit upset that Silas hadn’t mentioned anything.

He dropped a kiss to my forehead as we made our way through the stands to our seat, “He was momentarily blinded by your beauty.” His expression looked utterly serious but convinced that this was another joke, I snorted.