Part Thirty-Three

The sun filtering through the curtains woke me gently and I let out a content sigh as I registered the warmth of arms cuddling my waist. Spring soap overtook my senses and I delighted in the knowledge that Mr Blackbourne had kept his promise and stayed with me throughout the night.

Demonstrating his sixth sense, I heard his rough whisper in my ear, “Good morning. Are you ready for today?”

I wriggled in his arms until I could turn and face him, “Yes although it makes me sad to know that all of this will just be a memory as of tomorrow.” I buried my face in his chest, “I don’t want to go back to Ashley Waters.”

He tightened his hold, “You are not the only one but I do hope that these memories will be precious one’s for you.”

“Always,” I whispered, falling back into a comfortable doze.

“Breakfast time, Pookie,” Sean’s voice coming from behind me was the next thing that I registered as I jolted back into full wakefulness.

“Argh,” I grumbled, “Do I really have to get up?”

The both of them chuckled and I wanted to protest further as Mr Blackbourne slipped from my grip and rolled to his feet, “Sorry, Miss Sorenson but I believe that the others won’t be kept waiting any longer before they come to confiscate you.”

A wave of sadness overtook me for a small moment as he slipped back into his formal address but I best it back with the knowledge that it was just a mask to hide how much he truly cared. It was something that I could reassure myself with.

“I’ll use the bathroom and then meet you down there,” I slipped from the beneath the warm sheets and moved to the door without a backward glance. If I saw them standing there, I knew that I wouldn’t want to do anything more than hang around.

When I was done and changed into a comfy black skirt and bright pink top, I crept down the stairs and followed the sounds of my boys throwing insults across the table.

Was I really going to be lucky enough to wake up to this every morning?

“Morning, Princess,” Victor called when he spotted me standing in the doorway. I’d wanted more time just to watch them but I couldn’t help the smile that spread across my face when they all turned to me with happy expressions.

My life was more wonderful than anything that I could have imagined.

“What’s going on?” I asked, moving forward to slip into my seat between Nathan and Luke.

A plate was piled with food and pushed in front of me, “I can’t eat all that,” I exclaimed, eyeing the towers of eggs and pancakes.

Silas leant across to me, “Don’t worry, Aggele. When you’re full you can slip the plate underneath the table and I’ll finish it for me.”

I giggled when North began spluttering protests, “Like hell you’re gonna steal Baby’s food.”