₁₁

SEASON ONE,

EPISODE TEN.

WORD COUNT : [ 3934 ]

════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ════

WHEN Mr. Schuester walked into the room that day, he went directly to the white board to start the lesson.

"Ballad. From Middle English, balade. Who knows what this word means?" Kurt and Rachel were the first ones to raise their hand, but the teacher ignored them and pointed at Brittany, surprised that she seemed to know the answer.

"It's a male duck." Or not.

"You tried, hun, but I think you mean 'mallard'." Amelia corrected her, sitting on the other side of Santana.

"Oh." Brittany nodded her head, now understanding.

"Kurt." Mr. Schuester pointed after giving the blonde a skeptical look.

"A ballad is a love song." The boy confidently answered.

"Sometimes, but they don't always express love. Ballads are stories set to music---which is why they're the perfect storm of self-expression. Stories and music are the way we express feelings that we can't get out any other way. Okay, now, sectionals are in a few weeks and there's a new rule this year- we have to perform...a ballad." Mr. Schue explained.

"Looks like my weekly letter to the Ohio Show Choir Commitee finally paid off!" Rachel exclaimed excitedly looking at Puck who was beside her, earning a few eyes roll from her teammates and a fake smile from the boy.

"Okay. So here's our assignment for the week: I'm going to pair you off, and I want you to pick a ballad to sing to your partner." Mr. Schue stood in front of Artie to set an example. "Look them right in the eye, find the emotion you want to express and make them feel it."

"I pick Quinn." Finn said quickly.

"No, no, no. Too easy. Your partners will be chosen by fate." They all complained.

"Oh, yeah. I put all your names in this hat. Whoever you choose is your partner."

"I bet the duck's in the hat." Brittany whispered, looking at Amelia, making the girl laugh.

"I hope not. I don't see Mr. Schue as a good magician." She whispered back.

"But Matt's out sick today." Santana announced, laughing at her best friends craziness. "He had to go to the hospital, 'cause they found a spider in his ear." As everyone else were doing sounds of disgust Amelia stifled a laughter, leaning on her friend's ear.