Chapter 9

Walking into Ewan McGregors office was the single most terrifying thing I had experienced. Actually, that was probably false. I had been through much more traumatic experiences in my past life, the downfall of my crackhead mother, my time being owned by the numberjacks, the death of Mali in music class, the death of Adam, who I once believed to be the love of my life. 

So really, this was only the most terrifying experience of the last few days. Actually, also not true, being pulled through a wall and introduced to a world of magic in a moving staircase was pretty funky. 

I guess I'll rephrase my prior statement. Walking into Ewan McGregors office, all I could feel was uneasiness. The butterflies within me seemed to have taken flight and left me, leaving me completely alone with nothing but a sinking feeling that I was about to learn something better left unearthed.

I knocked on the door.

'Come on in.'

Pushing the heavy door opened, I entered Ewan's office. 

'Take a seat'

I sat down opposite him at his desk.

'We have a problem.'

'We do?'

'Yes.' Ewan pulled out a long scroll of paper from a drawer. 'You see, all students names are written on this sheet. No exceptions. If you're on the list, you can attend. If you're not, you cannot attend school here.'

'Okay.'

'So what's your name? Because I spoke to Harry and he said you had none.'

'That's true. I have no name. My mother was addicted to crack ever since I was very young, and I never learnt my own name.' I paused. 

'It's almost like she wanted to forget.'

I blink away the tears from my eyes. I couldn't meet Ewan's piercing gaze, though I could feel it on me, boring holes into my deepest thoughts and sorrows.

'It's okay. I have a suspicion that we can keep you here.'

Curious, I look up. What could he mean? The sympathetic manner in which Ewan spoke and acted in that second gave me hope. Maybe this, this was my chance at a better life. A place for me to move on from my old life, however hard that may be.

'Ok. What've you got?'

'So'. Ewan began unrolling the scroll. 'There's one name here that nobody can decipher. We've tried for years with no luck. The name was crossed out, very roughly it seems. I suspect that your name is that name. You're a witch.'