CHAPTER 29

STEVE P.O.V

It was around 3 p.m. when I got the call from Clint telling me that Tony needed me over at Avenger's Tower as soon as possible.

So, of course, I raced over there as fast as I could.

I rush out of my apartment, grabbing a coat off the hook, just in case.

I hail a taxi and quickly clamor inside. The driver looks extremely confused as to why Captain America is sitting hunched over in the backseat of his car.

I hand him the wad of cash I had hastily grabbed on my way out the door and tell him to floor it to Avenger's Tower.

He glances at the crumpled 20 in his hand, then back up at me in awe.

"I'm in a bit of a rush," I remind him.

He nods, looking embarrassed, and turns back around to pilot the car.

As he sped through the congested streets of Manhattan, I took a moment to think about why Tony would need me over at the Tower so bad.

I mean, sure, we were back on speaking terms, but I'm not necessarily his BFF (Peter told me that's what the kids say these days. It means 'Best friend forever').

Before I could give myself a headache, the driver jerks to a stop in front of Avenger's Tower.

I give him an appreciative nod, and he looks like he's going to faint.

While I was getting out of the taxi, I saw another pull up.

I frowned, wondering who it could be, when Banner stepped out and nervously glanced around.

I smile and wave to get his attention. Bruce and I aren't BFFs either, I would say that's more him and Tony, but we get along pretty good.

Relief floods his face when his eyes meet mine, and he jogs over to greet me.

"Did Nat call you as well?" Bruce questions, a bit of the anxiety creeping back into his expression.

I shook my head, "Clint."

"Ah," was the response.

I nod, "Do you know why we were called? Did Nat tell you anything?"

He shook his head, miserably, "All she said was, 'Get your ass over here.' and hung up."

Bruce cast me a sideways glance as if daring me to say something. I smirk.

"Well," I say, "let's head in. Especially if she wants your ass that bad."

He rolled his eyes and said in a high-pitched voice, "Language."

We both laughed and headed inside.

We got in the elevator and just chatted for a few minutes until we reached our designated floor.

I had no clue where we needed to go, and I doubted Banner knew anything either, so we just ended up wandering the halls for a good 10 minutes until we heard talking coming from the hospital wing.

We trade confused looks but walk toward the noise anyway.

As we grow closer, I can hear a few more of the distinct voices.

I specifically hear Tony say, "Alright everyone, this," there's a slight pause, "is Percy Jackson. He's my nephew, and...yeah..." He trails off.

I frown and glance at Bruce, who looks just as confused as me. Tony doesn't have a nephew...does he??

"Yes...we know..." I hear Peter say.

The snickers that followed had to have belonged to Thor and Clint.