Chapter 38

When Oliver returned to the Bunker, the rest of the team were only half surprised to find Emiko with him.

"So, I see Oliver restored your memories." Rene said as Emiko stopped.

"Yeah. I just want to take a minute and say that I am truly sorry for everything I did to you guys. I was convinced that Oliver and by extension, the rest of you for following him, deserved everything I was doing. I just wanted to make the Queen Family feel as terrible as they made me feel." Emiko said.

"No offense, how exactly can we be sure that she's telling the truth?" John asked, since they'd been burned by enemies pretending to have reformed before, only to be betrayed.

"You really think I'd take her word alone? Memories restored or not, I'm not taking any chances. Only reason I brought her here is because if it turns out this is a trick, even she can't beat all of us." Oliver said and Emiko sighed, since she should've known that Oliver would not be willing to trust her so easily.

"So, how do we determine if she's telling the truth?" Laurel asked.

"By calling in a mind reader." Oliver said.

"J'onn." John said.

"Exactly. Figured if anyone would be able to tell if Emiko was telling the truth, it would be a martian with the power to read minds." Oliver said.

"I thought you believed me." Emiko said to Oliver.

"I want to Emiko, but I've been burned by this tactic before and always paid a high price for it. I can't take any chances." Oliver said and Emiko sighed, since she should've known that it would be harder to regain her brother's trust than it had appeared.

"So, when will J'onn get here?" Thea asked, right as said martian walked in.

"Right now." J'onn said.

"Okay, that was incredibly well timed." Felicity said.

"I have my moments. Now, what's going on? I can't stay for long since Supergirl is offworld, it's kind of on me and the rest of my team to keep National City safe her absence." J'onn said.

"Where is she?" Oliver asked.

"Checking out something that the Monitor told her about. And not crisis." J'onn said.

"So you know about that?" Oliver asked.

"Yes and Novu's timing was extremely poor." J'onn said.

"Why, what were you guys doing?" Thea asked.

"That's something for Supergirl to tell you when she returns." J'onn said.

"Can't wait to hear it. Though I hope it doesn't mean another alien invasion." Oliver said.

"No, we're currently in between those right now. So far all aliens on the planet that we know of are peaceful." J'onn said.

"Great." John said.

"Okay, so I know that you did not ask me to come here just to give you an update on current alien matters." J'onn said dryly.

"You're right, I did not. I'm sure you've noticed an unfamiliar face." Oliver said, referring to Emiko.

"Why do you think I didn't use Supergirl's real name?" J'onn asked.

"This is my sister Emiko. I restored her memories, but considering how she was an enemy in the old reality until right before her death, I was hoping you could confirm her intentions, since while she says she's reformed and I want to believe her, I can't take a chance that this is a trick." Oliver said and J'onn nodded in understanding as he turned to Emiko.

"I hope for your sake that you are not lying." J'onn said as his eyes glowed and Emiko grimaced as she felt J'onn's power invade her mind.

"Are you okay?" Oliver asked her.

"It's not exactly a pleasant experience." Emiko said.

"I thought you said it wouldn't hurt her." Oliver asked J'onn.

"It's normal to feel a bit of discomfort, especially if it's the first time I've read her mind." J'onn said as the glow in his eyes faded.

"Well?" Rene asked.

"Another reason she felt discomfort is because of how deep I had to go in order to be certain of her intentions. And I could find nothing but sincerity. Any intentions she had of betraying you died when you reminded her of who her real family is." J'onn said and Oliver nodded as they all relaxed.

"Thank you J'onn." Oliver said.

"Of course. I trust we'll be seeing each other again soon." J'onn said as he left and Emiko sighed in relief as everyone began to relax around her.

"So, I guess you really are on our side now." Rene said.

"I am. And like I promised Oliver, I'll tell you everything I know about Slade's plans, since they are different than they were in the original universe." Emiko said.

"That can wait, right now, the city needs us to keep the peace." Oliver said and they all nodded as they headed back out.