𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖞 𝖘𝖎𝖝

STUART TALKED TO HER FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MONTHS

"Did you finish the Transfiguration essay?"

Elara looked up and nodded as Stuart approached her where she was sprawled out on one of the armchairs by the fireplace in the common room.

"I did," Elara said, slowly, surprised he was even talking to her. "You didn't? It's due tomorrow."

Stuart's chestnut hair picked up the glow of the fire as he squatted in front of it, absent-mindedly tossing some wood in. "Yeah, I know. I've been so busy, it completely slipped my mind."

"With Cho?" Elara ventured, lightly, toying with the edge of the page of the book she was reading. Her eyes fixed on the silver snake ring wrapped around her index and she traced it with her other hand, Draco coming to mind.

Stuart smiled for a second, still staring at the fire. "Yeah... Cho - she's amazing."

"She really is," Elara nodded. "I'm glad you're both happy."

Stuart's fingers clenched around a twig before he snapped it and tossed into the fire. "I think she's the one."

Elara didn't know why Stuart was suddenly talking to her - about Cho - after months of ignoring her but the ache of missing him had never gone away.

"I hope she is," Elara murmured, finally shutting her book and moving to sit up. "Have you told her?"

He shook his head, shaggy chestnut hair falling into his eyes. "No. I'm - terrified, really. She's so - bold and brave and I can't help feeling like she's going to do something to get herself killed."

Elara sobered, leaning forward to rest her elbows on her knees and prop her chin up onto her hand. "She can handle it. She knows what she's getting into. It's not your job to keep her in a bubble forever, Stuart."

Stuart gazed at the flames flickering in front of him, seemingly lost in deep thought.

Elara wondered if she should move to comfort him or try to reason with him.

He made the decision for her.

"I'm so scared of losing people," he mumbled, his mind still somewhere far away. He seemed to come back to reality, shaking his head. His eyes were focused as he turned to look at Elara. "Like I lost Mum."

Elara's throat constricted and she got to her feet, moving to the sofa and patting the space next to her.

Stuart's hazel eyes were the saddest Elara had ever seen them as he sat next to her.

"Losing people is inevitable," Elara said, quietly, wrapping one arm around his shoulders and pulling him to rest against her. "You have to take the loss and move forward. You can't protect everybody and even if you could, there's no guarantee you won't lose them still."