Chapter 5

After Larcade was arrested, it was all over the news. Crooked Sin were used to dealing with reporters so seeing the media flocked around the guild hall was nothing new for them. The reporters stayed for about a week. After that week, the Magic Cup was announced. This year it was being hosted right here in Hidden Valley at the large coliseum in the heart of the town. Master Marous had called me into the office today to discuss the Magic Cup. 

"We need to talk about a couple of the various events that will be taking place," he told me. "And where you'll be competing." "How did you know I wanted to compete," I asked him a little sheepishly. "I figured you'd want to use this as your chance to show that family of yours that you're not as pathetic as they think," he said. "If you compete, we'll also have a chance to win the Diamond Class round. Usually Blessed Enchantments wins it automatically because they're the only guild to have a Diamond Class until now. So what do you say?" I nodded, "Sign me up." "For once, we'll only be one away from the Magic Cup trophy," he said with a nod. 

The Magic Cup trophy only goes to the guild who wins every event. The only reason Crooked Sin has never won it, is because they have never been able to compete in the Diamond Class event, and none of the members have signed up for the talent event. Usually during the day of talent, Crooked Sin, can't even be seen in the stands. "Why has no one ever entered the talent event," I asked him curiously. He chuckled softly, "Because it's the one event we know we'll lose. Sure some of the members can play instruments and such, but nothing like what the other guilds can do. Especially Esmerelda from Floating Light. She's a triple threat." She can sing, dance, and play the violin all at the same time. I nodded in understanding, "You have a point." "Why? Thinking of signing up?" 

I quickly shook my head, "Not at all!" It was too quick. I had to admit, I had started thinking of performing after my talk with Mandy in the library, but I wasn't sure. "You've got a week to decide," he told me. I nodded and stood. 

I went back to my room and sat on my bed. I was thinking about the beautiful performances that Esmerelda puts on every year. I myself was also a triple threat. At least that's what Camie always called me. I was able to mix my magic as I played and sang. Camie knew of my dream to join a guild and prove to my parents that I wasn't as weak as they thought I was. Camie used to tell me that once I was part of a guild, I could put on the world's greatest performance. She wanted to see me give at least one live performance as a way to celebrate making my dream a reality. I was so close. 

I looked over at the framed picture of Camie on my dresser. One live performance. Just for you Camie. I pulled the small box of sheet music from under my bed and texted Mandy to meet me in the library. I left my room and made my way there quickly. 

Mandy was sitting on the back of the couch, "What's up?" "I need a piano," I told her. She raised an eyebrow, "What made you want to play so suddenly?" "I have three days to figure out what piece I want to play for the talent event," I told her. Her eyes widened, "Woah. You think you can beat Esmerelda?" I shook my head, "It's not about beating Esmerelda. My dream was to prove to my father that I'm not weak like he believes. Camie had always encouraged my dream. Her dream was to always watch me perform at the Magic Cup after I make my dream a reality. So I want to play for her. It'll be my first ever live performance. I want to keep it quiet though." Mandy gave me a kind smile, "We'll we're wasting time just talking. Let's go." 

We left the guild hall through the back entrance and she summoned her broom, so I did as well. She stood on it casually while I sat on mine side saddle. She took my to a music hall on the edge of town. "Very few come here anymore," Mandy said as we landed. "The owner owes me a favor that I never thought I'd cash in." Mandy lead me inside and I felt my heart slamming in my chest in nervous excitement. 

A man with wire frame glasses looked at us. He seemed weary of Mandy, "What brings you to see me Mandy?" "I'm here for that favor you owe me," Mandy told him. He paled a bit, and I became worried for him. "Don't worry old man," Mandy said with a scoff. "What I want is for you to let my friend here use your piano whenever she pleases." As she spoke she pointed her thumb at me. I gave him a kind smile and wave. "I'm Lilly." 

He seemed to ease at the sight of me. He then looked at Mandy, "That it?" Mandy nodded, "Yeah. Give her a key so she can come and go as she pleases. Also if anyone from the guild comes snooping around, turn them away. I don't want her to be disturbed." He nodded quickly, "Yes ma'am." He gave me a key. Mandy looked at me, "Let's keep your performance a secret. It'll really shock the guild." "I haven't signed up yet. But I will when I have my piece picked out. Thank you so much for this Mandy," I said to her feeling entirely grateful. She waved a hand, "Don't mention it. Call me if you need anything." She then left and the man lead me to where the piano was. "It was tuned this morning," he informed me. I nodded, "Thank you." He left the room and I pushed aside my nervousness. Let's get to work. 

It was a long three days, but it was by mid afternoon, when I had my full performance planned. Master Marous had met me outside of the music hall when I went to rush out to catch him before he submitted the forms. He held up the talent form, "Make up your mind?" I nodded and signed my name on it. He tucked it into his jacket, "I look forward to seeing your performance Lilly. Better make it a good one. Your Crooked Sin reputation is on the line." No pressure or anything, I thought as he walked away. I now had two weeks to rehearse and make sure every detail was perfect. I prayed I didn't screw this up.