𝑻𝒘𝒐

TWO

The drive to the hospital was a nightmare.

The smell inside the car was nauseating. The windows were open, letting the air get in, but still, the smell of vomit was stronger.

Freddie kept puking all over the backseat while Niall complained in my ear.
I called Briana from the car, letting her know the state Freddie was in and asking her to meet us there once she ended her photo shoot.

"Dad?"

"Yes, little lad?"

"It hurts."

"We're getting there."

And then, he puked again.

I sighed, hitting the pedal and speeding the last fragment of the route to the hospital.

Once we got there, Niall flew out of the car, looking like he was about to vomit too, an he placed Freddie on the sidewalk, getting as far away from him as he could.

Niall kept glancing at me, his eyes in a mix of hate and heartache, his nose still scrunching from the awful smell of the puke on his clothes.

When he realized the state his clothes were in, he took off his shirt and threw it on the nearest bin.

"Uncle Niall?" - Freddie pouted, extending his arms towards him.

"No, kid. You stay there."

"Dad?" - He then turned to me.

And damn, his clothes were disgusting too.

"I'm not lifting you up." - I sighed, but extended my hand to take his' and that way, I guided him inside the hospital.

I quickly talked to the receptionist, explaining them the situation and only a seconds later we were sitting in front of the doctor's door, waiting to be called.

Niall, still shirtless, grabbed one of the bins of the waiting room for Freddie to puke there instead of the floor.

"It hurts." - Freddie repeated.

"The doctor will call you any time now, you just have to wait a little longer." - I said.

"Okay." - He said with a pout on his face. - "Where is mama?"

"She's working."

"Why did you pick me up from the kindergarten? Mama always does that."

"Because you were feeling ill and she couldn't leave work earlier."

"Okay, what's wrong with uncle Niall?" - Freddie said, pointing to a corner where Niall was now looking down at the screen of his phone and crying, once again.

Probably Lila's photograph.

"He's sad."

"Because of my tummy hurt?"

"Maybe." - I said, not wanting to explain the kid about his uncle's heartache.

"Sorry Uncle Niall." - Freddie said, a little louder for Niall to hear.

Niall looked over at us with a sad smile and shook his head, pocketing his phone and walking back to us again.

Then, a female doctor interrupted on the waiting room and called Freddie to her office.
We quickly stood up and entered the room, Freddie holding onto my hand tightly.

"What's happening to this little guy over here? What hurts baby?" - The doctor asked.

And just like that, Freddie vomited all over her shoes.