Chapter 35: enter the baby (ies) part 1

-2 months later-
Grace was now 7 months pregnant, and this time she was okay with being on desk duty - she knew at this point it was too dangerous to be in the field.  As it was, she was by herself in the bullpen - the rest of the team, including Mackenzie, was out in the field investigating a new crime scene. 
She had started feeling kicks from her babies about a month ago, and they were extra active today.  She rubbed her belly and smiled softly when the kicking slowed down slightly. 
"Easy there, little ones.  What's got you so riled up today?" She asked quietly.  She felt a few extra sharp kicks and winced slightly.  Then, she felt pressure down low and then a release.  She felt relieved for a moment, but then started having pain that was coming and going.  She looked down and sure enough her pants were wet.  "Oh no...it's too early...of all the times..." she muttered as she picked up her phone.  She tried calling Gibbs but there was no answer.  "So much for never be unreachable..." she said as she dialed another number. 
"Autopsy, this is Dr. Mallard"
"Ducky, it's me..." she replied, panting slightly.
"Is everything alright, my dear?"
"I think my water broke...I'm going into labor.  I tried calling Gibbs but he didn't answer."
"Okay, give us just a moment" she heard him yell for Palmer to come with him.  "We're on our way.  We'll grab Abby on our way."
"Yeah, may be a good idea." She hung up and started timing the pains and was relieved to discover they were still about 20 minutes apart.  Right as the next pain was beginning, Ducky, Abby and Palmer came in.  With one arm around both Ducky and Palmer, she slowly made it out of HQ and to Abby's car. 
"I'm going to try Gibbs again, okay? Just stay calm"
"I'll do my best, Abbs, but no promises"
"Come on, Gibbs...pick up...ugh! Gibbs, it's Abby, call me" she kept trying but kept getting his voicemail. 
"Abby, for goodness sake, try someone else" Grace said through gritted teeth.
"Right...let me try Tony" she dialed his number and miraculously, he answered.
"Very special agent Dinozzo" came Tony's voice, and Abby put the phone on speaker.
"Yeah, okay, Tony...is Gibbs there?"Abby asked. 
"He's questioning a witness.  Why, what's going on?"
"Tony, if you value your life, you'll interrupt him and tell him his wife is calling" Grace said, panting again.
"Right..." they heard Tony talking to Gibbs, and then he came on the phone.
"Grace? Everything okay?"
"Gibbs...remember that rule you have about not being unreachable? I'm not trying to make you feel guilty, dear, but Abby and I have tried to call you for the last 40 minutes..." by the sound of her voice, he knew what was going on.
"I'll meet you at the hospital, okay? I'm leaving right now" he replied before hanging up the phone.