Chapter 44 - Meeting Gibbs Sr.

-next morning-
They pulled into the driveway of Gibbs' childhood home and Grace took a look around when they got inside.
"And you're sure no one knows we're here?" She asked. 
"Nope, just the team." He replied.  She nodded and they headed upstairs to the bedroom, each of them holding a baby. 
"So, can I ask you something?" She asked after a few minutes while they unpacked, also keeping an eye on Kenzie and AJ as they crawled around.
"What is it?" He asked.
"So, you told me on the way here you hadn't been here since you left for the military.  Why haven't you been back since?" She was met with silence and was afraid she'd overstepped.  "I'm sorry...I shouldn't have asked..." she said after a few minutes. 
"No, it's okay.  It's just hard to talk about." He replied, sitting on the edge of the bed.  She walked around the bed and sat next to him.  "My dad and I had a falling out last time we saw each other...at Shannon's funeral."
"And your dad...is he still around?" She asked, and he shrugged his shoulders.
"Don't know.  I haven't tried to contact him since I left here." He replied, and she nodded. 
"When you're ready to talk about them more - your wife and daughter - I'm here.  I'm not forcing you, just letting you know" she said as she got up and returned to her task.  He got up after a moment and finished unpacking his belongings. 
They both had some pictures they'd brought - she brought the one of her and Gibbs holding their kids when they were newborns, and of her and Gibbs on their wedding day.  He brought the same picture of the two of them and of him and his team. 
After unpacking, they did a video chat with the team to let them know that they'd gotten there and then took a walk.  They made their way to the store in town and went inside. 
"Can I help you two?" The man at the counter asked, then paused when he looked up at them.  She looked between him and Gibbs and noticed they looked similar to each other.  "Well, I must say this is the last thing I expected." 
"I'll say" Gibbs replied.
"Well, aren't you going to introduce your friend to me, Leroy?" Grace did a double take - the only one who knew that name was her and...
"Yeah.  Grace, this is Jackson Gibbs...my father" Gibbs said, tense.  She decided to break the awkward silence after a moment.
"Well, it's nice to meet you, Mr. Gibbs." She said.
"Please, call me Jack" Jack replied.  "So, tell me: how do you know my son?" He asked. 
"She's my wife, dad." Gibbs said for her.  She was thinking things couldn't get more awkward. 
"So...I'll just go over here-it seems you two need to work out some things...come on kids" she said as she rolled the double stroller with her as she wandered to another part of the store.  She overheard their conversation while she pondered.  She got her phone out and, after making sure they weren't looking, she called Tony.
"Agent Dinozzo"
"Hey, Tony.  Just checking in.  How's the search going?"
"Not well.  How are things there?" He asked.
"Well...I feel like things could be better..."
"Why? Something wrong?"
"No, just...weird...I'll text you guys later" she said before she hung up and went back over to father and son.  "Everything okay?" She asked, sensing the tense environment.
"Leroy told me what was going on.  You four are welcome to stay with me" Jack replied, still looking at his son.
"Thanks, Jack.  Well, we better get going." Gibbs said before heading out the door.
"Thanks for your hospitality." Grace said with a sigh and a polite smile before following him out the door.