38 | A Second Too Late

Y/N

_

THE POUNDING OF my heart was enough to remind me of a ticking clock.

A timer heading straight for an untimely ending, but I couldn't figure out how long it was set for. How much time I had left. How many seconds before I stumbled through the Maze and met something dangerous enough to kill me.

"Lumos Solem," I muttered, the tip of my wand pressed against my lips.

As the stolen magic of sunlight began to illuminate the space I stood, I glanced around the dark hedges, swimming in an endless pool of fear and exhilaration. I chose to do this. I chose to take that leap, to put myself out there, and now I had to choose to continue.

But all I could think about was Draco waiting for me.

Somewhere behind the wall, staring, hoping, and praying for a miracle that somehow I'd be fine. I had to be fine. But less for my own sake and more for his.

Picking up my speed, I felt the fallen leaves crunch against the soles of my shoes as I ran, a thundering noise that almost drowned out the feeling of my aching breath. I'd be a fool to say I was brave.

I didn't know what to expect. I willingly put myself into a tournament that only those with skill could partake in, and now I was lost and unsure of what I would encounter.

Until I turned a corner and saw myself.

A girl, standing frozen a few paces away, her hair ragged and untamed, her clothes ripped and dirty, and the heartbroken look in her eyes enough to break my own. I stopped myself, feeling a chill run down my spine like cold water.

She was me.

"Ridikulous!" I yelled, whipping out my wand and watching as the shadowy figure slunk back into the darkness.

And finally, she was gone.

Shaken, but not deferred, I resumed my running, slipping through the trees and warding off any spirit that dared to cross my path. It was a newfound fire inside of me. A feeling of strength that I recognized for years before, standing alongside my friends as we fought for the future.

"Serpensortia!" I yelled, hitting another shadow.

I'd fought so many already; werewolves, dementors, boggarts, and whatever dark creatures that lived in hiding could foster, and it was putting me on edge. I had to keep my eyes open. To keep my wand at the ready, to keep my ears on point, and my heart set on—

"[y/n]?" a voice said, "what the hell are you doing here?"

I spun around to see Harry, his red uniformed shirt already ripped and stained with sweat, his glasses askew, and his hair tangled, but I took a step back.

"Ipsum revelare!" I said quickly, glancing at my wand. When a soft white light spilled out the end, I let out a breath of relief, "I found you."

He furrowed his brow, but I saw the anxiety behind his eyes, "answer my question."

"Your question?"

"What are you doing here?"

I frowned, tucking my wand into my pocket with the slightest bit of hesitation, "Saving you, Potter, why else?

Even in the maze of probable death, the tension that settled between us was deadlier than half of the things I encountered before hand. We were angry with each other; the silent kind, where we'd rather put off conversation until the other gathered up an apology, but I....it wasn't a good time to hash it out.