Chapter-15

Jackson's POV

"Jackson?"

"Jackson?"

"JACKSON?!" The teacher yells. I get startled and come back into reality.

"What's the matter with you? I have been calling your name for the past 5 minutes. Do you ever pay attention in class? You're almost 21 and still in high school. Are you proud of it? Because you act like you are. Now, if you are planning on not paying attention, then you may kindly leave my class." She says. I slowly gather my things and leave, feeling all eyes on me. I keep walking till I reach my locker and shove my entire bag into it, not physically being able to carry anything. The bell rings which indicates that it is lunchtime. Before the school hallway gets crowded, I make my way towards the school courtyard, to the secluded tree which is actually mine and Rosie's favourite spot. I lean back on the tree and slide down, placing my head in between my knees. The hustle and bustle happening in the cafeteria can be weakly heard here. I lift my head and look ahead. For some reason, sitting in one place is making me feel uneasy.

I should move. I should just keep moving.

And that's exactly what I do till I am a mile away from the school. I walk for about half-hour and stop when I reach the base of a hill. It is one the most peaceful places, something which I really really need right now. I climb up the hill and sit on the hilltop. I lay back and look at the sky, feeling somewhat comfortable with the position. I close my eyes and doze off.

I was harshly awoken with a tight slap across my face. I gasp loudly and open my eyes wide. In front of me is Rosie, with a worried expression. Before I could sit straight, she engulfs me in a bone crushing hug.

"Where the hell were you, Jackson? Do you know how worried I was?" She scolds me. I see Ronny and Justin standing behind her with the same concerned look on their faces.

"Yeah, dude. What you did wasn't cool." Ronny says. I look back at Rosie, who is crouched down to my level, still holding on to me for her dear life.

"I uhm, I need to talk to Rosie," I say weakly. The boys give me an understanding nod and leave.

"What's wrong, baby? You're acting really weird. Is everything okay, honey?" She asks me whilst sitting cross legged.

"I want to break up," I say, looking at my fidgeting fingers. I could hear her sharply taking a breath in.

"J-Jack? What are you saying? You're joking right?" She asks me with a soft smile. I look up at her and shake my head. Her smile drops and her eyes begin to water.

"I'm moving to Dublin." I mumble.

"Wha- Why?" She asks, tears flowing freely down her cheeks.

"I am going to join the military, and I don't really want any sort of distraction."

"Since when did you come up with all this? What is the name of God that is happening, Jackson?! You can't just end things like this with me!"

"I'm sorry but it is what it is. We shouldn't see each other anymore." I say whilst getting up.

"No no no Jackson! Please listen to me, w-we can work this out. Just give this a chance. Please...." She says, holding my arm tightly and sobbing.

"I'm sorry Rosie but I have to leave. I wish you good luck for the future."

"This is just stupid. You can't leave me all of a sudden like this. Jackson, you've gone insane. I know you're not in your right mind now, you have been acting distant for the past couple of days and you don't even talk to me about it. I'll call you tomorrow morning and we'll talk about this with a fresh mind, alright? Y-You are clearly exhausted and that's why you're not making any sense. The first thing you'll do tomorrow morning is calling me." She says, her voice breaking.  She kisses me on the cheek and runs down the hill, to home.

I guess I'll just not tell her that I am leaving tonight.

"What?" I ask innocently.

"I know you threw the flower pot, Jackson. Why did you do that?" She asks whilst getting in and closing the door.

"That idiot was going to kiss you, Rose," I say through gritted teeth.

"So?" She asks, raising an eyebrow.

"What? You wanted him to kiss you?" I ask relentlessly.

"What if I did?" She asks challengingly.

"And even if I didn't want him to kiss me, you had no right to do what you did." She says, her voice slightly rising towards the end.

"Oh come on Rosie, I know that you didn't want him to kiss you. I was just helping you."

"You don't get to decide whether I want him to kiss me or not, Jackson." She says heading closer towards me.

"Where is all this coming from, Rosie? What are you trying to prove? Since when did you start kissing guys just after going out for dinner?" I ask.

"People change." She retorts.

"They sure do. You have become one desperate woman." I say 

"Oh just shut up! You are no one to judge me. Have you seen yourself? If it weren't for your PTSD you would have bedded Chloe the very first night you went out with her!" She yells.

"I may have acted like I didn't care about what you did to me 8 years ago. But let me tell you, Jackson, it stings me every single time when I think about it. How big of a selfish jerk you were!" She says whilst throwing punches on my chest. I hold her wrist and pull her closer to me.

"You don't even know why I left. So you have no fucking right to tell me that I am a selfish jerk."

"I have every right, Jackson. You could have told me the reason, we could have worked it through but NO! You knew better than I did, hence you took matters into your own hands and didn't even think it was necessary to tell me!" She shouts at the top of her lungs while crying. I stay quiet and pull Rosie into my embrace. Her shoulders shake violently as she sobs. I stroke her hair and place my chin on top of her head, holding my tears in from falling. She pulls away and looks up at me, remaining in my embrace.

"Jack, I know that you had a difficult time in there for 8 years. But you weren't the only one who was suffering. I wrote you letters every single day, for over a year. Not once did you reply to them." She says, looking at me with teary eyes.

"I still have them with me, Rosie. But I didn't open any of them because I knew that if I did it, I would leave everything and come running to you." I say while cupping her cheek.

"Then why couldn't you leave everything and come to me?"

"I have my own reasons," I mumble. She promptly pushes me away and lets out an exasperated sigh.

"This is exactly what you did 8 years ago. You are the reason for your own misery. Not just yours, but mine too. None of this would've happened if you hadn't walked away from me, from us." She says weakly.

"Choosing to walk away didn't mean I was abandoning you. It simply meant that I was choosing what's good for you, over what's good for me." I said before climbing the stairs.

"Where are you going now?" She asks while following me.

"I knew I shouldn't have stayed with you. I am moving out. It's for the best." I say.

"No, you'll do no such thing." She says while grabbing my arm and holding me back.

"Then what the hell am I supposed to do, Rose?" I shout.

"Stop running away from your problems." She whispers.

"The only problem here is me. And if there is a solution to this problem, then it is me leaving this house." I say lowly. She immediately grabs my face and smashes her lips on mine. I take a second to process what is happening, and when I do, I hold a fist of her hair with one hand and move it to the side for better access. My other hand slides around her waist, pulling her flush against my chest. Once we pull away for air, she looks at my eyes with desperation.

"Don't leave me this time, Jackson."