THREE

JUST RUBY

"What's up, Mr. Delmar," Peter greeted as him and Ruby walked into the corner store.

"Hey, Mr. Parker," Mr. Delmar said as he leaned on the counter, "Miss Wilson."

"Hi, Mr. Delmar," Ruby smiled.

Mr. Delmar nodded at her and turned back to Peter, "Number five, right?"

Peter put a pack of gummy bears on the counter, and nodded, "Yeah, um," he answered, then turned back to the worker in the back, "And with pickles, and can you smush it down real flat? Thanks."

"You got it, boss." The man replied.

Ruby stared at Peter with a grin.

Peter turned to her, "What?"

"You get the same thing, every single time we come here," She laughed, "You're so predictable."

"What I am not!" Peter denied.

"If you say so," Ruby smiled.

"Anything for you, Ruby?" Mr. Delmar asked.

"Oh, no thanks," Ruby shook her head, "I'm just gonna grab something at home, thanks."

Mr. Delmar nodded and turned back to Peter again, "How's your aunt?"

"Yeah," Peter nodded, "She's alright."

Mr. Delmar turned to his co-worker and spoke in Spanish, but Ruby and Peter could make out exactly what he was saying, "She's a very hot Italian woman."

Ruby snorted as Peter stepped toward the counter, "How's your daughter, eh?" he asked in Spanish.

"Ten dollars," Mr. Delmar said, and Ruby laughed again.

"It's five dollars!" Peter pointed at the sign above them.

"For that comment," Mr. Delmar looked to him, "ten dollars."

"Hey, come on," Peter laughed, "I'm joking, I'm joking," he dug in his pocket and pulled out his wallet, passing Mr. Delmar a five dollar bill, "Here's five dollars."

Mr. Delmar rolled his eyes and took Peters money.

"Hey, Murph," Ruby said as her and Peter pet the cat, who was sitting on the counter.

Peter walked back to Mr. Delmar while Ruby went outside to wait.

"So, how's school?" Mr. Delmar asked.

"Ah, you know," Peter shrugged, "It's boring, got better things to do."

"Stay in school kid, stay in school," Mr. Delmar laughed, "Otherwise, you're gonna end up like me."

"No, this is great," Peter smiled.

"Best sandwiches in Queens," Mr. Delmar handed Peter his sandwich, "So,"

"So?"

Mr. Delmar nodded towards the glass door, where the two could see Ruby helping an old lady cross the street.

"When are you gonna do it?" Mr. Delmar asked.

"Do what?" Peter raised his eyebrows at the older man.

"Ask her out," Mr. Delmar said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, "Come on, she's nice, she's pretty, and she definitely likes you."

"Ruby?" Peter chuckled awkwardly, "No, no. She doesn't like me."

"So you admit you like her?"

"What? No!" Peter shook his head rapidly, "No, no, no, she's-she's my best friend. She's Ruby, you know? She's Ruby, just Ruby."

"Mhm," Mr. Delmar rolled his eyes, "Well, Just Ruby is waiting for you."

"Right," Peter nodded, "Thanks, Mr. Delmar!" he called over his shoulder as he jogged out of the store, walking to Ruby.

"That lady offered me a hundred dollars for helping her cross the street," Ruby told him as they walked across the street, "Isn't that sweet?"

"It is," Peter nodded, "And you were sweet for helping her cross the street."

Ruby shrugged, "She was a nice lady, and she looked like she was struggling a little, I thought I'd help her."

"Like I said," Peter nodded, "Sweet."