TWENTY TWO

TROUBLE

"Oh, my god," Ruby stared at the Washington Monument as pieces from the top fell, she dropped Peter on the ground.

"My friends are up there!"

"What?" Peter turned around, "Uh, don't worry ma'am everything's gonna be okay," he said quickly before running through the crowd of people.

"MJ?"

"Ruby?"

"Hey," Ruby waved awkwardly, pulling her mask out of her pocket, "Listen, I don't have time to explain, but I promise I'll tell you after everything's fixed."

"Ruby?"

"Dad," Ruby wrapped her arms around her father and her brother.

"Are you okay?" Sam asked as he pulled away, "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine, I'm okay," Ruby laughed and wrapped an arm around her brothers shoulders.

"Good, good," Sam nodded, then grabbed her by the ear and dragged her to his car, "What the hell were you thinking? I knew I shouldn't have let you come on this trip. 'I'll be safe' my ass, you're grounded."

"For what?" Ruby smacked his hand away from her ear and walked with him and Caleb, "Saving my friends?"

"She's got a point, Dad," Caleb jumped in. 

"You almost died," Sam sighed as they got into his car, "Peter almost died, your friends almost died."

"Yeah, but we're alive," Ruby cut in, "We're fine! We're all safe!"

"You almost died," Sam repeated, "Do you know what it feels like to watch your daughter, your little girl, on tv with guns pointed at her by the police? No, you don't."

"No, you're right," Ruby nodded, "I don't know what that feels like, but I do know what it feels like to watch my father on tv, risking his life," she said, "I watch every time, Dad. And every time, I don't know if I'm gonna have a Dad."

"I'm an adult, I can take care of myself," Sam sighed.

"Yeah? I'm almost an adult, and I can take care of myself."

"Fine," Sam said, "You're not grounded, but you are in trouble."

"Got it."

a/n: short chapter because i have no energy whatsoever.