EIGHT

DEATH STAR

"Hey, Ned," Ruby greeted as Ned let her in his house, "Hi, Mrs. Leeds!"

"Ruby, nice to see you dear," Mrs. Leeds said as she stood from her chair and made her way to the two.

"Nice to see you too," Ruby smiled.

"We don't have enough time for you two to talk, we have to finish the death star!" Ned complained and dragged Ruby to his room.

"Rude," Ruby laughed, "What made you drop this this, anyway?" She asked as she picked up a piece of lego from the pile on the floor.

"Peter, he's spider-man." Ned blurted then his eyes widened and his hand went over his mouth.

"Calm down, Ned," Ruby laughed, "I know. Tony made his suit, I even helped."

"You know Iron Man? Tony Stark?"

"I live in the same building as him," Ruby laughed again, "Of course I know him."

"Right, sorry," Ned apologized, "I forgot how cool you are."

Ruby smiled at him and he smiled back, "Where do we start?"

"After almost two hours," Ned sighed, leaning against his bed, "Were finished."

"Finally," Ruby mumbled as she admired the lego death star they'd just finished.

"Mom thinks you left an hour ago," Ned said as he stood up, "You should probably get back home, how are you gonna get from here to the front door without my mom seeing you?"

"Well, you know Peters secret," Ruby sighed, "You might as well know mine too."

"What do you-" Ned cut himself off as Ruby suddenly disappeared, "Ruby? Where'd you go? Oh my god.. we're you in my imagination all these years?"

"Boo!" Ruby laughed as she popped up behind him and he jumped.

"You can- You- what?!"

"I can fly, too," Ruby explained, "And I can do this thing that I can control what someone says and does, like mind control kinda."

"Really?" Ned gasped, "Do it to me."

"You sure?"

Ned nodded and Ruby sighed, "No, not today at least. It takes a lot of my energy, that's why I don't do it often. What if I just showed you how I can fly?"

"That works," Ned shrugged.

Ruby nodded and floated off of the ground, sitting criss-cross in mid air while Ned stared in awe.

"My best friends are so cool," He laughed, "Can you teach me?"

"Ned," Ruby laughed with him, then they both stopped, "They way I got to be able to do this.. is not cool, or fun."

"What happened?" Ned asked, "I-If you're comfortable telling me."

"Of course I'll tell you," Ruby stood up normally, her feet touching the ground, "But you have to promise to never tell anyone."

"Got it, I promise," Ned nodded quickly.

"When me and Caleb were little," Ruby began, "It gonna sound completely made up, but when Caleb and I were little kids, he was five and I was seven," she continued, "This group of guys raided our house, they uh, they killed my mom and took us. Dad was out with some buddies at the time."

"Oh.."

"And then, those guys took us to a lab, and they tortured us, and did tests on us for a while four months until we got, well, powers," Ruby explained, "Dad eventually found us and saved us. And those guys that took us, they were from HYDRA."

"Really?" Ned gasped, "That's so cool, I-I mean it's not cool but your back story, that's just awesome."

"Thanks, Ned."

"So, what powers does Caleb have?" Ned asked after a moment of awkward silence.

"He can fly, like me," Ruby said, "And he's really fast, like really fast."

"Cool."

"You're not gonna tell anyone, right?"

"I promise you I won't tell anyone," Ned nodded, "Does Peter know?"

"Yeah," Ruby nodded, "I gotta get home, i'll see you at school tomorrow, Ned"