FOUR

-
THE CHURRO
-

Peter let out a yell of joy as he swung from building to building, Ruby laughing as she flew beside him. They finally stopped on the roof of one of the buildings and sat at the edge, their feet dangling off.

"See? I told you it'd be more fun with me here," Ruby nudged his side.

"Well, you didn't say it like that," Peter responded.

"Don't be a smart-ass," Ruby laughed, "You know it was what I intended."

"Alright, I admit it," Peter sighed, "You're really fun to be around, Bean."

"Oh, I know I am," Ruby winked, "Just wanted to see if you'd admit it, and you did!"

Peter rolled his eyes and smiled at her, "Why don't you wear a suit? Or just a mask? People can see it's you."

Ruby shrugged, "I don't like the skin tight outfits, they're uncomfortable. Besides, a mask? Covering this face? Come on," she laughed.

Peter laughed with her, "Come on, I'm serious. You could get hurt or-or kidnapped or worse, you know? I don't want you hurt."

"You're such a softie," Ruby grinned as she nudged his side, "But you're right, but I don't really care if people know it's me. I mean, I've got the Avengers as a family. Besides, I can do my mind control thingy."

"Oh yeah," Peter ran a hand through his hair, a thing he'd been starting to do quite often, "I forgot about that."

"Stupid," Ruby laughed, poking his arm.

-

Ruby laid on her back as she listened to Peter leaving Happy yet another message. He did this every night, she knew it. Happy always complained about it whenever he got the chance.

She watched as Peter hung up the phone and set it down beside him, sighing, "Why did I tell him about the churro?"

"I think it's sweet," Ruby sat up and moved closer to him, "You tell him everything you do on these little.. patrols. It's nice."

"Does he even open anything I send him?"

"I don't know," Ruby lied, shrugging her shoulders, "He's a busy guy, Peter, maybe he hasn't found the time yet."

"It's been like two months," Peter sighed, "And he still hasn't responded to anything."

"It's been exactly two months," Ruby smiled, "You've been counting."

"I just wanna go on a real mission," Peter mumbled, "I think I could be great if they just let me help out, don't you think?"

Ruby nodded and leaned her head on Peters shoulder, "I think you're doing great the way you are right now. You help out around the town, and that's enough."

"Do you think I should tell Liz in Spider-man?"

"What?" Ruby blurted, sitting up and taking herself away from Peter.

"Yeah, I mean.." Peter trailed off, "Maybe she'd like me if I told her. Girls like knowing someone can protect them, right?"

"Not.." Ruby hesitated, "Not always. Sometimes we do, but most the time we feel like men just expect us to think they'll be our knight in shining armour. They think we're weak, like we always need saving. When in reality, we want to show how we can defend ourselves, to show we're independent. That we don't need protecting," She rambled, "Well, that's me at least."

"I think you're strong," Peter nodded, "You're the strongest girl I know."

"Thanks, Peter."

"I mean it," Peter went on, "You've been through hell and back, Ruby. You're the strongest girl- person, I've ever met," he corrected himself.

Ruby smiled lightly, "You too, Peter, you're really strong."

"Do you think Liz thinks that?"

There it was again, the name Ruby was starting to hate hearing all the time. That's all Peter seemed to talk about, Liz. How pretty she is, how her hair looks, how beautiful her prism fits were, Liz, Liz, Liz, Liz, Liz. Ruby wished he would stop talking about Liz, that he would get over his crush and move on.

Peter was smart, but sometimes he just couldn't take a hint.