NINETEEN

DENIAL

"Perfect timing," Liz whispered, "We're gonna go swimming," she turned to the rest of the team, "Come on!"

The rest of the team ran by, Flash smacked Peter on the ass and Ruby snorted, walking to the group.

"You should join us, Rue," Flash suggested, his voice a whisper, "A lot more fun than going to the vending machine with Penis Parker."

"You know, just when I thought I could be your friend, you ruin it," Ruby sighed, "We're going someplace anyway."

"Did he finally ask you out on a date?" Flash asked, smiling, "I didn't think he had it in him."

"What? No," Ruby shook her head, "Why does everyone think he likes me?"

"Because you're both clearly in love with each other but are too stubborn to admit it because you're scared to ruin your friendship." Flash deadpanned and Ruby's eyes widened.

"Not true," She whispered and walked backwards as Liz walked to them, "But I gotta go."

"You're in denial!"

"Peter, you ready?" Ruby asked as she walked up behind him.

"What? Oh, yeah," He turned to her and nodded.

"You really like her," Ruby sat beside him, "Don't you?"

"What- uh," Peter stumbled over his words, "Who?"

"Don't play dumb, Peter," Ruby looked down, "I just saw you staring at Liz."

"I wasn't-" He cut himself off, "I do like her."

"Oh," Ruby mumbled. She didn't know why, but she got a jealous feeling.

"Yeah.. 'oh'," Peter said, "But there's something weird about it."

"What's weird about it?" Ruby asked, tilting her head to the side.

"I think I still like Liz," Peter started, "But it's different than before."

"How?"

"I used to get all nervous around her and I never knew what to say, you know?" Peter explained, "I used to get butterflies when I talked to her but now I don't. I don't get any of those feelings anymore. I think- I think maybe I like someone else."

"Oh," Ruby said, standing up, "Well we're wasting time just sitting around, put your mask on."

Peter nodded and stood up, putting the mask on, "H-Hello?"

"Oh, yeah you took off the Training Wheels Protocol," Ruby smiled, "That is your AI."