Chapter 12

Over the past few days many things changed. Taivy started hanging with new people and less time with me and the gang. She said she was having fun with them, but something told me there was other things going on. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but then I started feeling lonely. Even though I would hang around Taivy sometimes in class, I still felt we weren't as close as we once were.

The times I saw her hanging with her group of friend she seemed to put on that she was having fun. She'd act like she was into the girls' conversation. She also wouldn't look at me when I'd say "hi" to her in front of the group. I asked her a couple times about it when we were together in class, but she immediately changed the subject.

Liam did get in the football team which ticked me off. Harry and Niall said he was good, but I had to see it for myself. When I went to watch him practice he was rubbish. I had a good laugh watching him kick the ball way off target and my laughter seemed to make him mess up even more. Harry eventually made me leave which I was quite bummed about.

Today was an odd day. I never got asked in for work so I got to school on time for once. Well, on time in the last three weeks.

The first class was over and I had just stepped out for a smoke by the dumpsters at the back of the school when I heard something. I made my way around the corner then froze. Taivy was leaning against the brick wall crying. She didn't notice me till I said her name.

"Taivy?" She immediately stopped and tried to wipe her tears. "What's wrong?" A light chuckle left her lips as she moved her hair out of her face.

"Um.. I-..." She mumbled and smiled in a strange way. "I-I found out that one of my friends from my old school is moving... And uh. She's moving here," she said. I stared at her. I knew she had blatantly lied to me. She smiled and looked me right in the eye. She was trying too hard.

"Why do you keep lying to me?" I asked. She chuckled slightly and shook her head.

"I didn't-"

"You did so. I know I've only known you for about a month, but I can tell when you're lying." She scoffed at me and stood up from the wall.

"You don't even know me, Zayn. You know nothing about me. All you know is where I live and a few things I like."

I stared at her. It was true. I didn't really know her. I wanted to know her. I wanted to protect her too, but I could never figure out how.

"I want to know you," I confessed.

"No you don't. Don't get to know me. Don't even go near me."

"What are you saying?" My chest suddenly felt like some invisible being was trying to suffocate me.

"I'm telling you to stay away from me." She looked away suddenly and left. I sighed in disbelief. What had just happened? Did she just push me away again? Did I make her push me away?

All these question filled my mind. I felt sick. I wanted an explanation so I headed back inside to try to find her. I bumped into Niall on the way to her locker.

"Hey, Niall, have u seen Taivy?"

"Uh..." He looked around like he was trying to think of something to say. "No."

"You'd better not be lying to me!" i growled. Niall rolled his eyes and huffed.

"Okay, I saw her. She was headed to math with her click," he said. "Hey, could you tell her to stop hanging around Cleo. She's gonna be so messed up if she keeps hanging around her."

"She's hanging with Cleo?" I brawled. I suddenly wanted to punch something. I didn't want to believe it. Cleo hanging with Taivy? "Why the bloody hell would she be hanging with Cleo? It's like making a mouse be with a lion and expect nothing bad to happen."