Chapter 1

Edward's POV:

"Hey, Al. How're you holding up with all this military shit? I swear, they give us all their extra jobs" I laugh.

We're almost at Granny and Winry's house for a visit. I didn't want to come, but Winry needs to checkup on my automail monthly.

"I'm doing fine. Yeah, it's annoying, but they're helping us in return. What about you, brother? They certainly work you the hardest"

"Well, I am more...able bodied?"

We laugh together. Its not often I talk to Al about this kind of stuff, probably because of what we've been through. We've just never connected in that way.

"We're here"

It's quite dark outside, and all you can see is the silhouette of the tall house set by the moon.
Winry makes her way to the door, and comes outside.

"OH MY GOD I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU TWO IN SO LONG C'MERE GUYS!" She screeches. It was just loud enough to wake Granny.

"C'mon Winry, we saw each other last month, don't be so dramatic" I stride into the room and put my bags down.
"How's it going?" I ask her
"Totally boring. No automail to fix? How could I survive without your visits?"
Al and I laugh at her. She can be way too much sometimes.

Granny and Winry talk to us for a while, but Al and I are half asleep anyway. We head to bed earlier than usual. I can already hear Winry getting ready to fix my automail tomorrow.
You see, I like Winry, but I'm not sure in what way. I'm just so confused lately, and there's obviously no one to talk about my feelings to.

In the morning, Granny makes us sandwiches, filled with just the right amount of spread. Since we are leaving tonight, my automail should be fixed as soon as possible.

My leg is almost finished, and let me tell you, it hurts. A LOT. I tried to act strong infront of Winry, but eventually gave in. She noticed.

"Ed, you really don't have to try so hard. Normal people express their feelings. You can, too"

"Yeah well, normal people had a regular childhood. I never exactly had anyone to express myself to"

She stayed silent. It was a touchy subject, I'll admit. I should feel bad for bringing it up, but hey, she was asking for it.

When Winry finishes, we eat dinner and get ready to leave. It was quite uneventful honestly, though these trips usually are.
We say goodbye and eventually leave for the train.

It was quite a short visit, deep down I wish it had lasted longer.

Now that I think back to earlier today, I realize that maybe... Winry tried to ... kiss me? Right when she complimented my jacket. How could I have been so oblivious! I'll admit, I've never been very good at the concept of girls in general. I was about to smack my forehead right then and there, when the train arrived.

"Brother? C'mon, we need to get back to East station. Colonel Mustang sent an urgent message. We need to get there straight away"

What could he possibly want at this hour? Could it not wait until morning? I should've slept more on the train. Whatever he wanted, We were about to find out.

As soon as we arrive, we get escorted to his main office. He starts talking when we sit down.

"Hello Elric brothers. Considering this is a sensitive topic, I must inform you in person. The homonculi made their move, and have started attacking Central station. It is to our knowledge that they are living beneath headquarters. I need you two alongside us in order to take them down."

Al and I could not help but gasp.
"Why- Who- What is happening" Al stammers.

"I know it's a lot to ask, but you two are more capable than anyone else here."

Al and I nod, as if to accept our mission.
We know what needs to be done, and we know how to do it.