Chapter 12

Envy's POV:

Yeah, I told Greed about everything that happened. He's actually considerably supportive of it.
Lust maybe-kinda happened to overhear our conversation. The little bitch. Luckily, she said she wouldn't tell father under one condition: she is allowed to flirt with Ed's friends. I was hesitant at first, but it's a pretty good deal considering Ed has maybe 4 friends.
I'm not sure why she would find it so amusing, but that's unimportant.

I'm on my way to meeting with Ed. I need to apologize for everything I've ever done to hurt him. It might seem extensive, but Greed assured me it's the right thing to do.
"Would you look at that... Envy being nice. I never thought I would live to see that, and I'm immortal!" He laughed last night. All I did was grunt in response.
I do wish Lust would just mind her own damn business. She definitely never would have found out the hard way.

I'm a block away from the alleyway.
I'm approaching.
I'm there.

Ed is already here, of course. I'd be ready to bet he's been here since 2:30.

"Where've you been?" He asks.
"Sorry..." is all I have to say. Having nobody to talk to except Greed does something to your social skills.

He stares awkwardly. "So. What did you want to meet for?"

"I wanted to say... I'm sorry. For all this trouble and grief I've caused you these past years. There's really no excuse-"
"Of course there's an excuse" he counters. "At least in this situation, anyway. You were born to hate and kill. I understand."

I try to restrain my smile. He's made things a whole lot easier.

"Hey, uhm, Ed. I was wondering if you wanted to go to lunch together. It's okay if not-"
"I'd love to." He says in an instant.

We go further across the city than planned. Lesser chance of being recognized by his Military friends.
We find a good-looking Ishvalan restaurant, and settle in.
"I told Greed and Lust about us" I blurt out.
He looks surprised, but takes it coolly.
"That's okay. You trust them and it's fine."
"You can tell Al if you want." I say. "That is, if you're okay with it"

He looks right at me with his adorable eyes.
"I'm not sure right now. He'd ask so many questions, none of which I have answers." He tells me.
I shrug. It makes sense.

"Speaking of questions" he begins. "What exactly...er... are we? Relationship-wise, of course."

"I'm not sure. Let's just go along with it?" I suggest. He seems to agree. I'll admit, I want to be his boyfriend. I'm not sure if he's ready for that.

As we eat, it's shockingly quiet. There's not much to say. We enjoy our meal and take off.

On our walk back to mid-Central, we stop and look at each other.

Kiss, kiss, kiss

My brain cheers me on.

We inevitably kiss.
For a while, I might add. It begins to go even further to making out.

"Shit. It's 5:30. I promised I'd come to dinner in an hour. It was great seeing you again, Envy."
We kiss once more, and he takes off.

My brain can't help but think I'm disobeying Father. I know he'd be mad if he found out.
I can't help myself. I want to date Edward, but I know nothing about dating. Or relationships. Or human interactions.
Have I really degraded myself so much it's come to liking a human?

I know Father would be disappointed, but that's all the more reason I desire Ed. I've been restrained by Father my whole life. I deserve my own freedom.

"Envy." Someone calls from behind.
It's Lust.

"What do you want" I sigh.

"I've been having fun with our deal. How's your end going?"

I roll my eyes. "I don't give a shit about your love life."

"Shame. Have you fucked Ed yet?"

I recoil, offended she'd think I'd stoop that low.
"What kind of being do you think I am? I will not sexually interact with a human. Or ANYONE for that matter. Unlike you, I couldn't care less for sex"

She just laughs. "Think about it. He's so short, It'd be so easy to-"

I plug my ears. I can't listen to her any longer. "What kind of sick thing are you? I wouldn't even consider doing that- Why are you here, anyway?"

"Right. Father wants to see you. I'm not sure if he knows, but he's pissed."
She tells me, calm as ever.

"WHAT?! IF HE KNOWS- LUST!"

"I'm messing with you, bitch. He called a meeting. Also, I was spying on you and Ed just now."

"I expected as much from you" I tell her. It's the truth; Lust has no boundaries.

We make our way to below Central station.
It turns out, Father's conducting a plan to lengthen our hours at "home". It's all really just stupid shit. I wound up lost in my thoughts. When will I see Ed again?