Chapter 21

Ed's POV:

In the morning, I have work so I must leave early. I say bye to Envy, and hurry off. This hotel is further away than our apartment, so I should quicken my pace.

Colonel Mustang is still working on the Hughes case, but this morning, he carries a different vibe.

"How are you today, Colonel?" Lieutenant Hawkeye asks.
We're in Mustang's office for assignment distribution.

"Let's just say... I've found supporting evidence that just might avenge Maes Hughes." He announces.

I perk up on my chair.
"WHAT! This is great news, Colonel. What is it?" I exclaim.

"I'm not sure whether I can disclose this information to you yet, but I might as well. I found suspicious marks on the telephone booth a few months ago. I just got the results back. The marks have trace amounts of skin, but when tested for DNA, there was nothing ever found in human bodies. This leads me to believe the homunculi are involved."

I perk up even more.
"Well who do you think it was?" I ask nervously. This could go many ways.

"Considering Lieutenant Maria Ross was given the blame, I'd say it was the shapeshifter. Envy was their name?"

There they were, the feared words.
Envy.

Silence rings throughout the office.

"Are- Are you sure Colonel?" I ask.
I'm visibly shaken.

"Are you okay, Ed? I know this news must be upsetting, but we all expected it." Hawkeye counters.

"I just- yeah, yeah I'm fine."
I need to get out of here. My face about to burn, and I need confirmation.

"Are you sure." I restrain myself from bursting.

"Not yet, but it seems accurate to me. All the timelines add up. Are you well, Edward?" I'm asked.

"It's just- Excuse me, I'm sorry." I say, leaving. I head straight to the phone room. I need to confront him. I need to know if it's true.

"Envy." I mutter, underestimating his past. I knew he killed, so why am I surprised? At the time, we were in fact enemies.
The fact that Envy knew of my relationship with him is what gets to me.

Why am I acting like he's guilty? Nothing is for sure yet...

When I call the apartment, nobody picks up. He must be at the hotel.

How would I ask him anyway? I can't be too accusing...

I spent the rest of my work day stressing out over this. Anxiety creeping into my mind.
I just have to be straight forward.

I spend my walk home dripping in sweat. Mustang's findings aren't 100% concrete. He may be innocent.

Once at the front door, I begin to have regrets. How could I have been so quick to put my boyfriend to blame? It doesn't add up. In a matter of moments, I'll be confronting him.

I open the door to Envy preparing dinner.
"Hey, Eddie. Since you're working late, I thought I'd attempt to prepare a meal."

I don't respond. Restraining my building anger.
"Envy. Was it you."
That was all I needed to say. His first confused face morphed into a look of understanding and shame.

"I- I" He struggles to find his voice, and I'm silently in tears.

"I promise, Ed. It was- It-"

"IT WHAT. YOU- You monster. You-" I can't go on. We just stare at each other, eyes filling up with tears.
All he does is leave. He doesn't grab anything. He just leaves out the wooden door.

My anger turning into deep regret. I fucked up big time. Him and I both.

It's been an hour since he left. I've sat here thinking. He was in a total different mindset than now. Not that what he did is justifiable, of course. I just must realize that he was raised to kill. He's killed hundreds of others, so why should I be surprised.
Where is he?