𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 4

As the weeks go by Iwaizumi Hajime falls into an easy rhythm. He wakes up with the rooster and heads down to eat breakfast with the other servants and get the Prince's schedule. He wakes the Prince and accompanies him throughout his day as needed. Morning breakfast together becomes a routine. Oikawa is rarely asked to dine with his parents in the morning. There is always an excuse. Mostly that Oikawa has his meal much earlier than the rest of his family, who are normally still sleeping.

Iwaizumi had suggested, more than once, to allow the Prince to sleep in a bit. But the answer is always the same. It's His Majesty's orders. Oikawa doesn't seem affected much, and instead is excited to have Iwaizumi join him each morning to fill the large empty room with fun banter.

Iwaizumi is surprised how easy it is to talk to Oikawa in the morning. At one point he calls the Prince an idiot when he accidentally knocks over his glass while telling a story a bit too excitedly. He fears he's crossed a line, but the Prince merely laughs it off and Iwaizumi can't help but join him.

Mornings are nice.

Iwaizumi spends the afternoon cleaning the Prince's chambers after his nightly episodes, helping the servants with their chores, and taking breaks to explore the grounds, adding every day to his mental map.

Nights are hard.

Once Oikawa is released from his task for the day he is completely drained, angry, and, to be frank, out of control. Iwaizumi hides the Prince's valuables under his bed before evening, to prevent too much damage. But he still can't figure out how to stop the tantrums entirely. Oikawa always orders him out of the room with such horrid desperation that Iwaizumi can't help disappearing into his side chamber.

Iwaizumi always tries to make sense of it at night. He can understand the Prince's frustration. Having to overexert himself every day is grueling. He's kept from his family almost entirely, for reasons Iwaizumi still can not comprehend and the rest of the staff refuses to question. He barely sees the King himself, or little Prince Tobio who's always with him. Iwaizumi has never even set eyes on the Queen, but Oikawa talks of her so often that she must be real.

But Oikawa is always so exhausted when he returns to his chambers, how can he then summon the energy to scream and destroy his room?

He needs to confront him about it. Perhaps during breakfast. He wants to understand.

He wants to help.

While receiving the Prince's itinerary that morning he sees that today will not be the best day to talk at all.

"With Father?" Oikawa echoes as he yawns into his hands, sitting at the edge of his massive bed, "Just him?"

"Yep." Iwaizumi says, as he helps the Prince into his pants.

Oikawa hums drowsily, "It's probably about my birthday next week." He gets up, letting Iwaizumi button up his vest and jacket. An outfit a little dressier than usual that Iwaizumi had pulled out for the occasion. The pair walk down to the dining room, finding the King already seated at the head of the table. Iwaizumi bows deeply, before taking his place by the wall. Oikawa sits down near his father and gives a curt greeting.

"How are you, Tooru?" The King begins, as he rips off a piece of his toast.

Oikawa doesn't touch his food, "I'm fine."

"That's good. Are you on top of your studies?"

"Yes. Riku-san says my talent with a sword is the best he's ever seen. Tachibana-san says I'm his best pupil."

"You're his only pupil." The King points out. Oikawa doesn't seem to find it very funny, from the way his shoulders tense. Iwaizumi frowns.

The King does not notice, continuing with a breezy tone,"I think it's time you start learning to ride."