𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 11

The first thing Oikawa does when he returns home is hug his mother tight.

The first thing Iwaizumi does when he returns home is get dragged to the barracks.

The barracks weren't necessarily an unfamiliar place for Iwaizumi. He had spent a lot of his time talking to the knights in training, watching them run and spar. He was always ready to offer himself up to them for practice and the knights themselves were eager to have him because he was strong and like-able.

"It's such a waste they keep you locked up in that castle!" He remembers one of the head knights exclaiming, giving his shoulder a strong pat.

He doesn't think of it often, but his mind does wonder, at times, what could have been, if he had been left to the knight program. But he can't imagine not being by Oikawa's side, not spending his days bickering with him over breakfast, riding around the castle grounds, and marveling at him and all his talents.

"Iwaizumi, you need to talk to him." One of the trainees that had dragged him away begs, "He won't listen to anyone! And if he keeps this up he's going to get himself killed."

"Why me?" Iwaizumi asks, following the boy to the barracks.

The other trainee looks at him like it's obvious, "Everyone listens to you, Iwaizumi. Even Prince Tooru! And he doesn't even listen to the King half the time!"

The statement makes Iwaizumi feel weird and he tries not to think about it too much. Luckily, he's distracted almost immediately by an angry shout.

"Get your hands off me!"

Iwaizumi sighs, realizing immediately who the gruff voice belongs to. He turns the corner, finding the newest problematic trainee, Kyoutani Kentarou fighting off other trainees. Where were the guards? Useless. He lets out a sigh, "Settle down!" He roars, crossing his arms and trying to seem older than he really was.

The trainees in the scuffle whirl around, and the pair drop Kyoutani who snarls at them. One of the trainees explains in a whine, "He keeps pushing our cots outside!"

"I don't like people near me." Kyoutani huffs, glaring at the others distrustfully.

Iwaizumi rolls his eyes. What a dumb reason for a fight. What a dumb reason to be dragged away from the Oikawa's homecoming gathering. He grabs Kyoutani by the collar and pulls him out of the barracks entirely. He dumps him on the ground, ignoring his snarls, "You need to shape up, Kyoutani."

"Fuck off." Kyoutani spits, "I'm not sitting through a lecture from some silver spooned pansy."

Iwaizumi is unimpressed, "I've got a silver spoon in my mouth, huh?" Iwaizumi takes a step closer, leaning into Kyoutani's crouched form, "What makes us so different? We're both orphans. We're both fortunate enough to be employed by the royal court. We're both fed and housed. Is it that you're training to be a knight and I'm not? So that makes you better than me? Stronger than me? We both know that isn't true."

"I am stronger!" Kyoutani glowers, shoving Iwaizumi away from him as he stands up.

"Oh yeah?" Iwaizumi says, and theres a new glint in his eye as he straightens himself up, "You want to prove it?"

Kyoutani squints his eyes at him, baring his teeth, "How?"

"Arm wrestle. Simple feat of strength. Let's go."

Kyoutani leaps at the challenge, and the pair make their way back to the barracks to borrow a table. When word spills out of the battle, trainees pour into the room to surround the pair. Kyoutani bristles at the attention but tries to stay focus, holding his arm out. Iwaizumi takes him, and the fight begins. There are chants from each side and although it is a close match for the first few moments, Iwaizumi wins with a powerful, decisive thud.