𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 9

Iwaizumi nudges Oikawa in the carriage, trying to rouse him from his sleep. Oikawa groans, swatting him with his tail. Iwaizumi grabs it in retaliation, tugging it mercilessly, which elicits a whine from its owner.

Oikawa opens his eyes, grabbing his tail back, "That hurts, you know!"

"We're here," Iwaizumi says, peering out of their curtained window. Oikawa takes a breath, masking himself, before poking his head out to see.

The glittering gates of Shiratorizawa open before them, each topped with a golden eagle, the national animal. Iwaizumi thinks they're pretty cool. Oikawa finds them overrated and gaudy.

"Hey, if I make a run for it now, how far do you think I'll get?" Oikawa asks, as their carriage makes its way up the path, "Oh my God, they've got servants lining the whole path to welcome us." Oikawa cries, looking away and covering his face.

Iwaizumi pokes his head out again, eyebrows raising, "Damn."

"I hate this," Oikawa mourns, sinking into his seat.

"This is like, completely up your ally. You're always looking for stuff to grow your ego." Iwaizumi points out.

"Yeah, but this is different! They're just excited their future trophy is visiting."

Iwaizumi leans back in his own seat, "It might not be that bad. I mean, the Kings in Karasuno seemed to share power pretty evenly. Not everywhere is like your dad and mom."

"But I don't want to be a King of Shiratorizawa." Oikawa snaps, "This isn't my home, and these aren't my people! Not to mention, Aoba Johsai will fall apart under Tobio. My ascendancy is for the greater good!"

"Uh, huh." Iwaizumi replies, unimpressed, "Oh, Ushiwaka's out there. Hey, do you think he'll remember my name this time?"

"Ugg, I'm gonna have to kiss him again." Oikawa groans, falling to the side until he's horizontal in his seat. Iwaizumi blinks, eyes darting straight to Oikawa at the words.

"You kissed him?" He asks, incredulously, the words tripping over his lips as they barge out of his mouth.

Oikawa peeks through his hands, "It's like, a thing here. Like a greeting. You kiss everyone."

"What?"

"Not on the lips! Like, on the cheek. You wouldn't expect it since they're all so serious here but whatever. Weren't you with me last time when I almost vomited? Oh wait, no, that was when you were sick with a fever, I remember now."

Iwaizumi frowns, feeling his face heat up a little, "Do I have to do that?"

"Probably not," Oikawa sighs, "Hey, but can you do it for me?"

"Hard pass." Iwaizumi replies, standing up, and opening the carriage door as the horses come to a stop. He extends a hand to help the Prince down before falling into step behind him.

Prince Wakatoshi Ushijima stands before them, surrounded by servants sending their many greetings and bows.

"Welcome, Tooru." Ushijima greets stepping forward wne placing his hands on the other Prince's upper arms. He leans down kissing each cheek while Oikawa begrudgingly does the same. Iwaizumi keeps his eyes trained on the ground.

"Hello, Ushiwaka-chan." Oikawa replies once he pulls back.

Ushijima lets out a small sigh, "Must you call me that?"

"Yes, dear, I really must." Oikawa sneers, moving past him, "I'm much too tired from the journey to discuss much, I think I will be retiring to the guest quarters early, oh and no need to show me, I know where they are."